Spend More/Save More

itsmelsucka

Is it better to spend more and get a degree from a top school or save more and get a degree from a lower ranked school? For instance UNLV v. BU

Thanks in advance for your help!

Depends on a lot of factors: How much more expensive is the top ranked school than the lower ranked one? How low ranked is the low ranked one? I wouldn't consider rank 25-40 low ranked. I would consider 1-25 top ranked. I wouldn't differentiate much between 15 and 25. If its rank 1 vs rank 40, I'd probably go for rank 1, provided its not $20K more expensive than the lower ranked place. Also, it depends on how important the rank of the school you got your degree from is in your field. If its a PhD that you're going to do, the ranking will probably be less important than the actual research you'll be doing. So research fit and professors' interests would be of greater concern than the ranking of the school.

Depends on a lot of factors: How much more expensive is the top ranked school than the lower ranked one? How low ranked is the low ranked one? I wouldn't consider rank 25-40 low ranked. I would consider 1-25 top ranked. I wouldn't differentiate much between 15 and 25. If its rank 1 vs rank 40, I'd probably go for rank 1, provided its not $20K more expensive than the lower ranked place. Also, it depends on how important the rank of the school you got your degree from is in your field. If its a PhD that you're going to do, the ranking will probably be less important than the actual research you'll be doing. So research fit and professors' interests would be of greater concern than the ranking of the school.

The monetary difference would be pretty great. BU is about $30,000 and UNLV would probably be under $10,000. Both of these quotes are for the entire program. I am a Nevada resident so I get the benefit of in-state tuition. Also you mentioned ranking, can you refer me to a website where I can find rankings? I am still new at this! I am just trying to gain as much knowledge about each program before I make any decisions. I have not been accepted to either of these programs but I wanted to weigh the pros and cons and get some advice from you all out there!

The monetary difference would be pretty great. BU is about $30,000 and UNLV would probably be under $10,000. Both of these quotes are for the entire program. I am a Nevada resident so I get the benefit of in-state tuition. Also you mentioned ranking, can you refer me to a website where I can find rankings? I am still new at this! I am just trying to gain as much knowledge about each program before I make any decisions. I have not been accepted to either of these programs but I wanted to weigh the pros and cons and get some advice from you all out there!

If you chose BU over UNLV, would that degree provide you that much more earning potential so that you would be able to pay back all the loans? That's really what it comes down to - if you're willing to be in debt the rest of your life, or you will be able to pay off everything in a reasonable time, go to the more expensive school if you think you would fit in better there.