Supplementary materials protocol

glasses

Hi folks --

I have a few supplementary materials packets left to send, and while all of these schools have forms for paper recommendations, none of them seem to have a "cover sheet" for the entire supplementary materials packet. I'm not entirely sure what to do in this situation: do I write my own cover sheet listing the contents of the envelope? It seems odd to just plop everything into an envelope and cross my fingers, especially since these supplementary packets are going to have some pretty vital stuff in them.

By contrast, the two schools to which I've already sent supplementary packets DID have required cover sheets for all supplementary packets.

I'd've called them directly, but I made the mistake of waiting till now (fine-tuning, etc.), and the websites say that the grad. admissions offices are closed for the holidays. I, of course, had almost forgotten that the holidays even exist.

If it helps, the schools in question are: Harvard, Brown, BU, and Brandeis. Am I missing some giant link somewhere to a cover sheet on all four of these apps?

Thanks a million.

Edited by glasses

I have been thinking about the same thing. I haven't found cover sheet specifications on the websites of most programs that I'm applying to (which, unfortunately, are none of the ones you've listed above). My plan is to send a brief cover letter with a list of the materials included in the packet. Perhaps because I've been a worker bee for awhile, it strikes me as the professional and responsible approach.

Alternatively, I've seen posts in the forum that discuss more detailed cover letters, along the lines of a job application. However, I wonder if it's best to keep it high-level unless the school specifically asks for a letter...

I have been thinking about the same thing. I haven't found cover sheet specifications on the websites of most programs that I'm applying to (which, unfortunately, are none of the ones you've listed above). My plan is to send a brief cover letter with a list of the materials included in the packet. Perhaps because I've been a worker bee for awhile, it strikes me as the professional and responsible approach.

Alternatively, I've seen posts in the forum that discuss more detailed cover letters, along the lines of a job application. However, I wonder if it's best to keep it high-level unless the school specifically asks for a letter...

Just a random note: I'd put your name on the header of all the pages in case the school wants to separate the packets! Just in case..... As for cover letters, I don't know. At least list enclosures. I am overseas and schools let me submit everything electronically and they didn't ask for a specific cover letter... not necessary but couldn't hurt would be my assessment.

I applied to McGill, MIT, Amherst, and Rice.

Of those only McGill had a cover sheet, and it really was more of a "are you Canadian" thing than a list of what is inside. What I did was go to the post office and have them put the supplementary materials inside a certified envelope (one of those large cardboard things) and then mail them out to the 4 schools. I then contacted each of the 4 graduate advisors and told them exactly what is coming and to let me know when it arrives.

I don't think a cover sheet would have been a bad idea for me, but I don't think it would really make that much of a difference either. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable, but at minimum I would make contact with the respective graduate advisor to verify that what you sent arrived.

Put your name on everything inside the packet and include a short cover letter that lists what is in the envelope. There's no need for elaborate job-application-type letters. If you do contact the schools to confirm that your packets arrived (which btw I never did) give them enough time to process everything first.

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to do the checklist-style cover letter. @fuzzylogician: thanks for the heads up about giving schools time to sort things out before contacting them -- I actually don't plan on contacting them at all (I don't want to add to their workload by making them check).

I'm sure that the office secretaries will know what to do with a large envelope containing transcript, personal statement, writing sample, etc., as I'm sure they receive hundreds of them at this time every year. When mailing something to the address of the "Office of Graduate Admissions" in a specific department, I think it's safe to assume those on the receiving end will be able to spot an application when they receive one! I think the more important thing would be to put your name and applicant number on all of the materials you send.

Just to add my two cents, I submitted everything last minute last year so details like this didn't even cross my mind. (I was more concerned with whether or not my packet was even going to arrive on time.) I didn't put my name on everything, and I didn't have a cover letter and everything went through the grad offices without a hitch. It's probably a good idea though seeing as it will make grad secretaries' lives easier.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again, folks --

I'm thankful to have been done with this stuff for twelve days. (On second thought: not so grateful. The agony of waiting.) Ended up using a cover sheet that wasn't much of a letter, and went like this:

"Enclosed please find the following supporting materials for my application to the English Literature PhD program at Your Phenomenal University:

* Thingamabob

* Thingamajig

* Stuff and things

Thanks very much!

Sincerely,

Glasses

Glasses' Contact Information"

Would've just included the materials, but I'm an organization freak.

Oh, that's a good idea. I just shoved everything in an envelope and, like JerryLandis, assumed they'd know what to do with it. It seems to have worked for the most part; most of my apps are verified as complete. But if I had to do this again, I'd copy your cover letter format. Nice work. :)