Applying to Masters programs w low uGPA

LoveMysterious

Hi everyone!  I know this is a long-shot for me but I'm applying to get my masters despite my impressively low uGPA. I was wondering if anyone could give me some feed-back on my application and whether or not I could possibly be admitted somewhere. I'm somewhat daunted and a little embarrassed by my academic performance during undergrad. 

Undergrad Institution: UCSD (2011)
Major(s): Biochemistry & Cell Biology
Minor(s): Psychology
uGPA in Major: probably around 2.6
uOverall GPA: 2.60 (that's right, people. I'm trying to overcome a 2.6.)
Position in Class: N/A 
Type of Student: Female

Post-Bacc Coursework: Took a bunch of upper div bioscience classes at UC Berkeley Extension. Got the certificate in "Advanced Biosciences." Concentrated on microbio/immuno courses.

Post-Bacc GPA: 3.9

GRE Scores:
Q: 163
V: 165
W: 5.5 

Research Experience: 

6 month in a well-known Alzheimer's lab at a prestigious research institution

1 year working with next-gen sequencing and various molecular bio techniques at a biotech start-up

3.5 years working with infectious diseases, one publication. This is a position in biotech industry, but I'm in the research department. I also split my time in the microbiology department.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Won an exceptional performance award at my job. Not sure if anyone cares though.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

-Philanthropy Chair in organization in college. Member of UCSD Chamber orchestra. 

Special Bonus Points: I don't want to give away my identity with specifics, but I made significant contributions to my current lab. I oversaw a clinical collaboration study. My recommendation letters are all from prominent researchers in the field of microbiology who can attest to my research potential, my intellect, and my enthusiasm for science. I'm a little older than most applicants - 28 years old. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I am applying to grad school despite my abysmal uGPA because I love studying micro-organisms. I am driven by my genuine interest in science and I hope to reflect that in my SOP. I have a chronic illness that kicks my butt every day but I'm not sure if I should mention it in my SOP. I took a medical leave of absence during my junior year but I don't want a pity party. 

Applying to Where:

This is where I kind of need some advice. I have no idea if my uGPA will bar me from any decent program. I am hoping my post-bacc coursework, strong GRE scores, and the rest of my app will mitigate it, but I'm really not sure. I ultimately want a PhD but that ain't happening. 

So far I am interested in:

-SDSU Microbiology (masters)

-Loyola U Chicago microbiology (masters)

-U Illinois Chicago bio sci (masters)

-NYU general biology (masters) (Huuuuuuge reach!!)

-Middle Tennessee University bio sci (masters)

-SUNY Stony brook biosci (masters)

Favorite research topic: The human microbiome, particularly the dynamics between micros that result in infectious diseases. I'm especially fascinated by opportunistic infections.  

What do you guys think? Thank you in advance for any feedback and best of luck to those applying! 

I think, for what it is worth, you have enough experience to counteract your GPA.  However, you should apply to 10-15 schools just to have a selection.  Your experience is very attractive and you should mention how you've overcome the difficulties of the chronic illness.  I really do think you have a good chance!  What do your mentors think?

Thanks so much for your reply! My mentors think it will be fine, but I think they are undermining how competitive the process has become - they all went through it decades ago. Everyone has told me that a masters is useless (and expensive) for what I want to do, but I really have no choice. For me it will be a stepping stone to a PhD program, I hope! 

I see you interviewed at Princeton! My dream goal is to do my PhD there someday. My husband went there and has given me valuable connections to faculty. It is going to be a long, hard road for sure, but I'm going to try. Thanks for the advice. :) 

Princeton was my dream when I was 16!  I met my hero-scientist, Bonnie Bassler, and really appreciated the opportunity to compare it to other schools.  However, I really am interested in biomedical research, so I had to go to a school with a medical center.

I thought master's were funded!  They are at Iowa State if they are thesis programs, I'm 90% sure.  You should look at the mcdb, gcdb, and bbmb master's programs there!  I can tell you from personal experience the faculty are extremely well connected.  Specifically, look at Amy Andreotti, Robert Dispirito, Scott Nelson, and Robert Honzatko.  They all work in microbiology/immunology related biochemistry.  And all have lots of funding and prestigious pasts.  Amy did her grad work at Princeton and then a post doc at Harvard!

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2016 at 10:16 AM, LoveMysterious said:

Thanks so much for your reply! My mentors think it will be fine, but I think they are undermining how competitive the process has become - they all went through it decades ago. Everyone has told me that a masters is useless (and expensive) for what I want to do, but I really have no choice. For me it will be a stepping stone to a PhD program, I hope! 

I see you interviewed at Princeton! My dream goal is to do my PhD there someday. My husband went there and has given me valuable connections to faculty. It is going to be a long, hard road for sure, but I'm going to try. Thanks for the advice. :) 

Thanks again for the tips! My mentors are pushing me hard to apply to only PhDs and then have some masters programs in mind as a back-up (generally those applications aren't due till spring). Pretty nervous, but I'm really hoping to report some good news next spring :). Worst case scenario, I'll do a masters, kick some butt, and then apply to some more prestigious PhD programs. Vanderbilt IGP is fantastic! I'm so interested in their work on H. pylori!