Can I get into a MS program in Applied Math?

Hi all,

I am wondering if I could get into Applied Math programs. Also, would I be able to get any funding? Does anyone know programs that might waive tuition? My stats are:

Major in Econ-Math (joint major), GPA: 3.7 (but major GPA only 3.5!) @ a grade-inflated Ivy

Coursework in Calc, Linear Algebra, ODE, Complex Analysis, Logic, Proof-based Stats, Probability, & Game Theory

No coursework in Modern Algebra or Real Analysis

GRE: 800Q/800V

I belong to an underrepresented minority group, don't know if that would help with funding or not.

Do I need to take the GRE Math?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Anonymous Coward

Hi all,

I am wondering if I could get into Applied Math programs. Also, would I be able to get any funding? Does anyone know programs that might waive tuition? My stats are:

Major in Econ-Math (joint major), GPA: 3.7 (but major GPA only 3.5!) @ a grade-inflated Ivy

Coursework in Calc, Linear Algebra, ODE, Complex Analysis, Logic, Proof-based Stats, Probability, & Game Theory

No coursework in Modern Algebra or Real Analysis

GRE: 800Q/800V

I belong to an underrepresented minority group, don't know if that would help with funding or not.

Do I need to take the GRE Math?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure I have the authority to give you advice, but seeing as how no one has responded to you yet, I think it would be useful.

First off, the easy part - GRE math. Since you want to apply to applied math specifically, most of the places I have looked at specify the subject test as optional for the applied math track in particular. It is required in pure mathematics. This is all for PhD. I imagine the same goes for MS.

I am rather impressed at your GRE. I thought scoring 800 on verbal is a feat few mortals can achieve and most of them are not mathematicians. Having said that, I am pretty sure schools toss that out after a cursory glance, making sure it's not under 400 which would signal a troll. It's the quantitative that will count for you. The GPA sounds fine to me, but it's also very comparable to my own, so I can neither praise it nor criticize it without feeling vain. =)

Now for the part that I find painful to tell you: not having taken real analysis or algebra is a real miss, even for applied math. You should address that in your SoP. Maybe vow that you will spend the time between now and Fall 2010 studying those at least a little? What I know, again please don't ever quote me on this, is that, yes, grad school will prepare you in these, and the courses in algebra and analysis will start from the basics. However, they will move really quickly because they will assume you are familiar and comfortable with the scenery. They will want to get the undergrad parts out of the way in the first 3 weeks. So that's one semester's worth of undergrad in 3 weeks of grad school. On another note, some places allow you to take an undergrad course or two so you can catch up to where you should be.

Can't say I know much about MS funding, except that I've heard it's happened for some. Sorry. =/

Edited by George