IELTS is about to expire

Hey, guys, I have submitted an application and noticed that my IELTS will expire before the classes start, but right now it is valid and it will stay so even after admission decision has been made. On the other hand, I have attended US university for the last 1 year but I haven't completed/earned the degree. In fact, I'm moving from one US uni to another one due to funding problems.

1) So will I have to go through IELTS/TOEFL test again? 

2) Can I get admitted with so-far-valid IELTS and then submit a new certificate after admission?

If you have test scores that will be valid at the time of submission and through when decisions will be made, I believe that you should be fine. You can just submit the scores you have. I don't think anyone cares if the scores are valid after classes begin. That said, when in doubt, this is exactly the kind of thing where policies might change from school to school so you should just contact the schools that you will be applying to directly and ask. 

9 hours ago, fuzzylogician said:

If you have test scores that will be valid at the time of submission and through when decisions will be made, I believe that you should be fine. You can just submit the scores you have. I don't think anyone cares if the scores are valid after classes begin. That said, when in doubt, this is exactly the kind of thing where policies might change from school to school so you should just contact the schools that you will be applying to directly and ask. 

Thanks a lot for your answer.

What about the fact that I attended the US uni? Can it waive from IELTS/TOEFL certificate submission?

9 hours ago, oqowa said:

What about the fact that I attended the US uni? Can it waive from IELTS/TOEFL certificate submission?

It might, but this is a question only the individual schools can answer. It's up to them to decide, they can but don't have to accept your prior education as proof of proficiency in English. Write them and ask. 

Just to jump in here - the IELTS result has to be valid at the time the programme starts for universities here in NZ, so I don't know if this is a standard thing or not. So, for example, while we would receive an application in November 2016 where the IELTS might be valid through to say January 2017, we would still require a new IELTS score for a programme beginning in March 2017. We would still give a conditional offer if everything else was in order though, and bump that to a full offer when new IELTS results are received. 

We'd waive IELTS if someone has studied in certain countries for a minimum duration (one or two years, depending on country) but I imagine this varies!

Yeah, definitely check with the school. 

Edited by Slagatha