Taking A Year Off Between UG and Grad

adri86

Hi All,

I am currently taking a year off between undergrad and graduate school (as long as I am accepted somewhere, of course), which means that I am simply waiting it out at this point. Up until now, I have been busy working on my writing sample, reading philosophy which was relevant to it, and thusly feeling rather engaged philosophically. But post-submission, I am at a loss for motivation.

Are there any other philosophy program applicants who are enduring a transition year-off as well?

I am interested in hearing how you are staying engaged with philosophy or if you have any thoughts about the experience that might be helpful.

Cheers,

Adri

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I am currently taking a year off between undergrad and graduate school (as long as I am accepted somewhere, of course), which means that I am simply waiting it out at this point. Up until now, I have been busy working on my writing sample, reading philosophy which was relevant to it, and thusly feeling rather engaged philosophically. But post-submission, I am at a loss for motivation.

Are there any other philosophy program applicants who are enduring a transition year-off as well?

I am interested in hearing how you are staying engaged with philosophy or if you have any thoughts about the experience that might be helpful.

Cheers,

Adri

I will likely be taking a year off. Depending on what you will be doing (working I presume), some reading and polishing of essays wouldn't hurt. But, to be honest, the big thing to work on for many applicants is their GRE score. I had scores that were good for most disciplines, but mediocre to sub par for philosophy the first time around. Thus, I will be spending a large amount of time studying for the GRE. Did you apply your first time around? If you didn't, perhaps familiarize yourself better with what sort of applicants are getting accepted to the programs to which you hope to be apply. If you did (like me), take a close look at where admission committees were weeding you out. That is, explain to the programs to which you were denied that you plan to ask programs that you were rejected by specifically why they did not find you to be a competitive applicant.