What range of schools should I apply to (Masters in computer science)?

SonGoku

Hi everyone,

I just retook the GRE for 164 quantitative, 161 Verbal, and 5.5 AWA.  I graduated from a top 25 research undergrad majoring in molecular/computation biology with 2 years of research experience in computational bio.  My major GPA is ~3.65-3.7.  However, I have a 3.9 in every math and computer science class that I have taken; I already took a few semesters of calc and the necessary CS prereqs for most programs as electives.  I am eager to make the switch into software engineering.

I understand that plenty of applicants have around 170 quant scores, can I get away with not retaking the GRE a third time since my GPA is ok and I have conducted research?  Also, I plan on applying to top 25-30 programs in big cities, not necessarily top 10.  Can I do that with my stats?  Thanks!

Edited by SonGoku

For masters programs you should be good to go. I think you would have a decent shot at top 10's for masters. 164 is not red flag territory.

One question I would ask is do you need to spend the money on a masters if your goal is moving into software engineering? You could get a job at a biotech in software and build up your resume and then move into software from there. If you can pass a coding interview that should be fine. Or you might be able to make the jump directly esp if you are in the bay area or another tech hub. There are resources on coding interviews. There are books as well as coursera courses on algorithms. But I also respect the desire to take more formal classes. If the funding isn't a big issue for you, a masters could be a good option.

And short of a masters there are the coding boot camps which are generally much cheaper than a masters. I know people coming out of those boot camps having previously majored in english or philosophy now getting jobs at good companies.

1 hour ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

For masters programs you should be good to go. I think you would have a decent shot at top 10's for masters. 164 is not red flag territory.

One question I would ask is do you need to spend the money on a masters if your goal is moving into software engineering? You could get a job at a biotech in software and build up your resume and then move into software from there. If you can pass a coding interview that should be fine. Or you might be able to make the jump directly esp if you are in the bay area or another tech hub. There are resources on coding interviews. There are books as well as coursera courses on algorithms. But I also respect the desire to take more formal classes. If the funding isn't a big issue for you, a masters could be a good option.

And short of a masters there are the coding boot camps which are generally much cheaper than a masters. I know people coming out of those boot camps having previously majored in english or philosophy now getting jobs at good companies.

I'm mostly doing a masters because I am considering the possibility (10-20%) of doing a PhD further down the line in computer science (at one point I was considering a PhD in molecular bio since I love research), but I found myself switching interests as I was completing my major while completing these CS electives at which point I had to graduate.  If I had to do it all over again, I would have majored in CS.  I also worked in biotech, but I eventually found that area to be a little dull for me.

However, I have heard great things from friends who have done coding boot camps and have considered them as well.  But I might want to return to academia after spending some time in the work force in a new field.

Are you able to comment on how GRE's are viewed compared to grades for masters programs?  My only friends who went to grad school are in biochemistry for their PhDs, where GRE's are not viewed nearly as high as research and GPA.  I understand I would be comparing apples to oranges.

Thank you!

Edited by SonGoku