Course selection spring 2010

mmsw86

I hope to start an MA program in art history this fall and have already submitted my applications. I completed a BA in English in 2008 and have been taking classes at one of the universities to which I am applying since fall 2008. I am now debating between A: taking two art history courses this spring (bringing my total to 11 art history courses, 5 studio art courses) and B: taking one art history course and one studio art course (for totals of 10 art history and 6 studio art). I could always take studio art courses at another institution during the summer, which makes me think option A may be the wiser of the two. I'm torn though.

Any thoughts? Is this a non-issue at this point (since the schools will be judging me on my prior grades, coursework, and experience)?

Edited by mmsw86

I hope to start an MA program in art history this fall and have already submitted my applications. I completed a BA in English in 2008 and have been taking classes at one of the universities to which I am applying since fall 2008. I am now debating between A: taking two art history courses this spring (bringing my total to 11 art history courses, 5 studio art courses) and B: taking one art history course and one studio art course (for totals of 10 art history and 6 studio art). I could always take studio art courses at another institution during the summer, which makes me think option A may be the wiser of the two. I'm torn though.

Any thoughts? Is this a non-issue at this point (since the schools will be judging me on my prior grades, coursework, and experience)?

Studio classes are not necessary for an AH degree. Most MA programs require at least 18-21 credits in undergraduate AH courses before allowing someone to take graduate AH courses (also, please note, that if the school you are accepted to does so on the condition that you take more AH undergraduate classes then you will be paying for these classes at graduate price (usually 3x times than undergrad, 6x more as an out of state student).

If you've already submitted the application, it probably doesn't matter. However, as the poster above said, if you're going for an art history grad program, studio art courses won't help you -- I'd definitely suggest taking as many art history courses as possible. Though it's probably too late to update the programs you've applied to with a list of additional classes you're taking next semester (though it wouldn't hurt to ask, especially if you choose courses that are particularly relevant to your proposed area of specialization), you mentioned that you're taking classes at a university where you're applying; taking more classes in the department will be a good way to network with professors and to show them that you're capable of advanced work in art history, especially since your undergrad degree is in another field. Maybe try to take a class or two with a professor you particularly hope to work with as a grad student - if you make a good impression, it should definitely boost your chances.