Help me! UMass or Boston College? (English)

Optimistic

Everyone here seems eager to give advice, and I need as much help as I can get. I've been accepted to the MA program in English at both Boston College and UMass Amherst and I don't know which one to choose. Does anyone know anything about these schools or the quality of their programs from experience or hearsay? I want to apply to a PhD program eventually, so I really want to go to a school/program that can help me get into a really good PhD program later on. Also, I'm interested in Victorian literature, especially the Victorian novel, and feminist/gender theories if that helps. Here are my pros and cons:

BC: Pros: At least 3 professors I'm interested in, smaller program, living in Boston means I don't need a car, I really want to live in a city, I love the campus architecture (ok, probably not the most important reason to go), no funding this year, but 60-70% chance of getting a TA position the 2nd year, more classes I'm interested in taking, possibility of later entering PhD program here, they host a graduate student conference every year

Cons: Ridiculously expensive tuition, housing in the Boston area is also ridiculously expensive, program not ranked as high as UMass, so I'm afraid it may not look as good for prospective PhD programs

UMass: Pros: Also interesting faculty that I would like to work with, higher ranked (does this mean better reputation?), I've heard Amherst is a lovely place, much less expensive tuition and living expenses, larger faculty

Cons: I'd probably have to buy a car to get around comfortably, which may counter the fact that tuition is lower, no chance of getting funding the second year either, which means no teaching experience (although 2 years tuition at UMass=1 year at BC), more grad students=less person attention (maybe), college is away from the city, the letter I got says that it is very rare for students in the terminal MA program to enter the PhD program here

What should be the most important factor when choosing a graduate program? The most important things to me are that I can work with great professors, be able to research in my area of interest, and build up my experience for PhD applications. Both schools seem like they could provide this, so I'm really torn! I was hoping maybe someone had personal experience with these schools, or could at least provide insight into how to make the best decision. I plan on talking to my professors, but I'm really indecisive, so I want to gather as many opinions as I can. Unfortunately, it isn't possible for me to visit these schools, especially not before April 15, so I feel like I kind of have to make a blind decision. I would very much appreciate whatever advice people are willing to give!

I originally wanted to say Boston College, since I'm waitlisted at UMass...haha. But then I realized that you're in the terminal MA program and I'm waitlisted for the MA/Ph.D. program, so it wouldn't really matter anyway.

I'd go with UMass. You don't want to leave an English program with massive debt, and Boston's tuition + living expenses would be insane.

Thanks! I've been thinking about it a lot and you (and my advisor) are right. It would be dumb to pay more ($12,000 + housing costs more to be exact) to go to a lower ranked school just to live in an overpriced city. I suppose I can always visit...Boston is about 1 1/2 away from Amherst...at least that's what I keep telling myself!

Good luck to you! I hope you get off the waitlist!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use