Difference betwenn education in Europe and USA

crabnebul

Question

Hey,

I would like to apply to a graduate programm for the academic year 2017/2018. Currently I am studying physics in Germany. I will attain my Bachelor`s degree in march next year. I have some questions about the graduate school:

Is a master´s degree also a prerequisite for a doctoral degree in the USA?

If i stay in Europe for my master can i still attain a Ph.D in the USA ?

Would it be better to apply for the subsequent year or should i wait until i have accomplish my master´s degree?

Thank you in advance for your help

Sincerly

Jamie

1 answer to this question

A master's degree is typically not necessary for PhD admissions in the U.S. It's still possible to apply (and be admitted) to PhDs there after you do a master's in Europe, and if you do it for a good reason it will only make your application stronger. Think about why you'd do a master's degree. If the answer is "to get into a PhD program" then it makes no sense not to try now, provided you have a strong file as an undergraduate (and some reasearch experience, although how much is "needed" will depend on your field). 

P.S.: If you wanted to start grad school in 2017, it might be a little late to take the necessary tests. There's a chance you can still register for the GRE Subject Test (paying the extra 25 dollars for a late registration), but if that's the case the deadline is likely to be...tomorrow. You'll also need to take the GRE General Test, and I'm not sure whether it's too late to take it for this round or not, have a look. In any case, you wouldn't have too much time to prepare...and you'll likely have to take the TOEFL/IELTS as well.

Edited by Feanor