Has your SO/wife/husband applied?

JulesM

My husband applied for phd programs in a humanities area. I wonder if I'm the only wife of an applicant who is reading and rereading posts on this forum. I've read anything I can get my hands (eyes?) on. I've discovered a ton of helpful info here, and it's helped us establish timelines of possible responses, amongst other great stuff. The problem is now that until our #1 school makes their interview notifications next week (if they follow the general timeline of prior years) I can't mellow out very well. I'm completely behind his ambition to earn a phd and teach. I so hope it works out. Fortunately, I'm that sort of spouse who is thrilled to pick up and move to any of the schools he applied to.

There's not much to do except do a Windows 7 upgrade from Vista (hurray) and other random projects at work and home until this week is up. I feel like the waiting will get easier after this first school thing passes. And I don't want to keep bringing up the waiting to Husband - I'd imagine it stresses him far more than me .

If you're out there, S.O. o' an applicant, do chime in. How do you cope with this process? I may be the only wife out there.

I'm not a spouse/partner of an applicant, but an applicant who has a spouse. I just wanted to say how fantastic it is to have a supportive spouse through this, like you seem to be. My husband is likewise willing to pick up an move wherever I go, and he has even stayed home working (and living with my cat!) while I am spending a year abroad working on my MA. He even keeps track of when my assignments are due and asks me how I am doing on them. Every day, I am amazed that he is willing to do this for me and I wonder why and how I managed to find someone who would be willing to do so much for me. So to any spouses/partners out there, I hope you know you are appreciated for the sacrifices you make for your grad applicant SO.