Transferring/Switching PhD Program

P0lsc1

Hello folks,

I'm an international Pol. Sci. student and this idea has been on my mind for awhile. I'm currently enrolled in a PhD-track program with a MA en route, however, it's my first year and If I wanted to make this move it's better to start now earlier.

My justifications for the deferral are as following:

1- I am sponsored with a very competitive scholarship that requires an admission. If I did not accept my offer (my current program), I will not be having my current competitive scholarship, If I waited for another program to admit me other than my current one and then to apply next year to my scholarship, I will never guarantee it, it could be as well impossible to obtain due to competitiveness. I was obliged to get it, with all available options whether I liked or disliked. This is why I had to pick my current school.

2- I wanted to switch because aside from not feeling that I fit the program, rather, the school itself has a very little number of international students, this, appears to me that causes several things:

A- Professors, as far as I came across are less understanding of being an international student and not a native speaker. They expect you to be just as good as your fellow native speaker mate.

B- The school is not diverse. I never thought that this would be a critical factor in the beginning, until I saw and experienced it by myself in my school, while visiting another school -I'll call it X' (Admitted to its MA program but did not enroll) which has a lot of international students and it really feels more 'welcoming'.

C- Although my school, I shall call it 'Z', is an-okay one, well-known but not an Ivy League, but has other disadvantages such as its location.

Now that I'm thinking about transferring programs, I am aiming to apply 'X' school that I was admitted to previously but to its MA Program. I would like however to apply to its PhD (MA en route). I have visited the school, literally loved everything about it, and once I'm in my current 'Z' school, I don't feel its 'home' , just like the other school that I was admitted to its MA program, but would want its MA en route to PhD program.

I'm thinking about contacting the Director of the program to explain my situation of why did I pick 'Z' school, in the beginning and justify/convince my urge to apply to their school based on my statements here.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by P0lsc1

I don't see why would need to talk about why you picked Z school. I don't understand what you mean by faculty not being understanding of English not being your first language. I think any program would recommend that you work on your English. I don't think switching programs will solve that. The faculty will treat you like everyone else because they want you to get better, so you can be competitive. 

Your reasons for leaving your current program don't seem that serious, tbh. I see no reason to contact a DGS to discuss it. 

How do your research interests fit in your current program?

14 hours ago, resDQ said:

I don't see why would need to talk about why you picked Z school. I don't understand what you mean by faculty not being understanding of English not being your first language. I think any program would recommend that you work on your English. I don't think switching programs will solve that. The faculty will treat you like everyone else because they want you to get better, so you can be competitive. 

Your reasons for leaving your current program don't seem that serious, tbh. I see no reason to contact a DGS to discuss it. 

How do your research interests fit in your current program?

1- I had to talk about my selection of Z school is because of its had-to-do context.

2- Let me state this, while I agree with the logic of your opinion, however, it's a general one. Being an international student, in an international-less students school, will make you understand the situation more. Let me give you an example, my friend (who is an international student as well) studying in the graduate school of 'X', has a very diverse student community as well as the faculty. He mentioned quite a lot how faculty seemed understanding the fact they're internationals. While the urgency of English improvement is substantial, the understanding of being an English as a 2nd lang. speaker remains in many ways specially in terms of writing. I do know as well that as a graduate student professional academic writing is important, however, If you're a faculty who got used to teach 99% native speakers with an expected ratio of English abilities, the sudden emergence of an international student will make you notice a significant academic writing differences due to not being a native speaker. This situation will not necessarily make you understand him/her, rather than requesting him to be like them. My argument is that if there was other international students, professors will be more understanding, and vice versa .

3- Many of my friends in other diverse programs+schools seem to have no issue on that despite their lower English abilities than mine, and being even in higher ranked schools+programs than mine. 

4- I wanted to discuss it with the DGS of 'X' school to justify my reasons that I don't believe I fit the department and I had to pick up Z for opportunity reasons.

5- In addition, one of the main other important reasons that I want to switch is that I don't fit the program in terms of my research interests, I do however fit strongly in 'X' school's program. Let me say this as well, I'm not even guaranteed an admission in 'X' despite fitting the program. It's a competitive program and reputable. That's why I'm saying here that I want to contact the DGS to clarify my situation and then apply If possible.

thanks for sharing your thoughts though I hope my answer has clarified something

more ideas are appreciated.