Economics- Calculus requirements

PolyMac

Question

Hello,

I am a middle age graduate student at large at the University of Chicago. Economics and Public Policy are my interests and I'd welcome input on the following.

My undergraduate degree only required math through calculus I. I received good grades but was not required to complete higher level calculus. Here is my question. I can take calculus at less expensive universities in Chicagoland, such as Univesity of Illinois Chicago or Depaul. I'd prefer to spend my tuition dollars at the University of Chicago on graduate level courses in the humanities (I received a A- in History of Technology in America this quarter). Would good grades (A,A-) in calculus at the lower ranked schools be looked down on in an application to a top tier Econ School? 

I'd welcome any feedback.

1 answer to this question

By 'top tier Econ School' do you mean that you intend to get a PhD in economics? If so, while your undergrad requires only calculus, you should take several additional classes. I think that at minimum you need at least Calc 1-3 and Linear Algebra. To get into a top program you also probably need Real Analysis (most would say you definitely need it). 

I have a friend who took most of his math at community colleges and then is taking Real Analysis at his university. If he gets an A, he figures it'll legitimize his other classes. I think that's a bit of a risk, but some combination of community college and university classes would probably be ok. I wouldn't take all my math at a community college. That being said, it sounds like you're just talking about taking math classes at other universities. I think that should be fine. But again, you're going to need more math to get into top (PhD) programs.