My first Issue essay. Please evaluate

Varun95

Please review. All suggestions are welcome. TIA

The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

Response

The process of learning continues throughout our lives and in this lifetime there is good amount of time that we spend as subordinates to others and this is the time when someone guides and instructs us. I disagree in part to the mentioned issue that the best way to teach is to applaud positive actions and be ignorant towards the negative ones.

As humans we yearn for praise. When we praise someone, there is flow of happy energy and the person being praised feels a sense of satisfaction that what he has done is good and that this behavior will fetch him continued praise. When Parents praise the actions of their young progeny it helps the child develop good sense and habits. In schools when teachers praise one student for a particular action in front of others, everyone else tries to achieve the same feat. This also promotes healthy competition among the students and helps them learn from varied aspects.

Negative actions in my opinion need to be pointed out and not simply be ignored. If we don't point out wrong actions than how can presume that the entity committing those actions would on its own realise that the actions in the first place were wrong and try to take measures to correct them. How can then we as observers or relatives get irritated or annoyed when we let such habits get past the embryonic stages. Coming back to the parent argument, our parents or especially mine for that matter bring out my wrongdoings into daylight and instruct me to never repeat them. If Parents start ignoring the wrongdoings of their children, there is an extremely high probability that children would grow up and not realise what is actually good for them and what appears to be superficially good. I'd like to share an example, in my school there used to be intense groupism and people would pick fight with others on petty issues, confrontation results which ultimately concludes in one of the two parties getting injured. All of this used to happen outside the school gate and in full view of the teachers who would be leaving, but none of them cared enough to look into the matter. Fearless of the teachers, the students started taking them for granted and their mischief continued. One day of the stricter teachers called a few boys in private and reasoned with them and explained to them the harm their actions did to them as well as their peers and juniors. That day marked a sudden change in the attitude of those boys which was evident from a stark decrease in the amount of confrontations. This step on the part of the teacher was extremely commendable.

What I am trying to convey should not be confused with curbing the freedom of an individual, but what I merely try to highlight and put forth is that just keep a check when someone crosses the line. The line may have different and varied definitions for each one of us but certain actions that warrant a strong response need not and should not be waved off nonchalantly or ignored. Shaping a person character is important more of this responsibility is on the Guide or the teacher and as someone with such a huge responsibility it is needed to be tender but strict at the same time. The statement by the author may have good intentions but leaves gaps and when followed to the point can create troubles.