East Asian Art programs?

cluelessandpanicking

Hey, I'm an undergrad thinking about PhD in art history, and need some advice on what could be my potential field of interest. 

Unfortunately I have found that my primary method of research for my dream schools - feverish googling and scanning university art history department pages- has its limits. 

So I thought it would be a good idea to ask the insiders who actually know their stuff, a.k.a you beautiful people, for some advice. 

Any suggestions on where I should start my research on institutions that have faculty members whose sub-field is in modern/early modern Eastern Asian art will be very appreciated. 

• 9 months later...

I recommend you approach it differently. Who are the key scholars in your subfield? (Or in the field at large?) Who are the people you want to work with? Figure out where they work and then make a list of those schools.

Frankly, to get into the best programs you should already be able to do this. A familiarity with the major names in your subfield is expected from the get go at top programs.

I would go to a school with strong EAS over all rather than someone who is necessarily exactly in your subfield. Even if your advisor is not an early modernist per se, you could probably cobble something together with various committee members. Really it should be someone who methodologically fits with you and would conceivably be comfortable advising your project (e.g., observe Huey Copeland advising a diss on contemporary Chinese art). But for EAS, look to Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Chicago, Princeton. IFA has extremely strong resources of NYC and rigorous art history, good if you want to curate.

Look at dissertations in progress and completed in your subfield. That's a good way to gauge who's in the advising game and who's pushing students through (you can then google their students to see their outcomes...)

http://www.caareviews.org/dissertations/392/completed
http://www.caareviews.org/dissertations/392/in_progress