GRE - GMAT Conversion and GRE Diagnostic Service

mr_r

Hi, all. 

I am applying to a variety of grad school programs, including MBAs, and so I chose to take the GRE over the GMAT. I don't know to what degree (if at all) biz programs rely on the GRE/GMAT conversion tables provided by ETS, but these tables appear to have shortchanged me. I have a low-ish UGPA, high-ish Master's GPA, and nontraditional work experience for business schools (I'm a teacher), so I was hoping that my test scores would help make a case for me. I took the GRE five years ago, pre-Masters and so I knew that I would not need to prepare for the exam outside of taking a few mock tests to build confidence, whereas the GMAT would probably require me to spend a few solid weeks learning its format and a reviewing a few topics with which I've grown rusty. I ended up scoring a 170V and 164Q, which equates to a 750 GMAT. (FWIW, I was pleased with my verbal, though I was expecting such a score based on my previous attempt 5 years ago, but was slightly disappointed by the quant as I am a [middle school] math teacher and scored a 168 on both practice tests that I took. Nonetheless, I was happy overall.)

The issue arises because a 170 verbal equates to anywhere between a 760 and 800 on the old verbal GRE. When I received the GRE Diagnostic Service report, it showed that I did not miss any questions on the verbal section. I imagine that that would equate roughly to an 800 on the old verbal GRE. (FWIW, I missed 5 questions on the math: 0 on the first section and all 5 on the second section). It appears that the conversions are based upon the lower end estimate of the old verbal score: a 760 old verbal and a 790 old quant (164Q = 790 on the old measure) yield a GMAT conversion of 750. An 800 old verbal and a 790 old quant yield a GMAT conversion of 790. I know it may sound like I'm splitting hairs here, but a 790 GMAT appears a lot stronger than a 750, does it not? Should I somehow let ADCOMs know of this? Or would that make me appear greedy? 

Thanks for any insight.

Edited by mr_r