chances...?

dflanagan

Ok, so I'm a senior at a top-15 or so LAC with a very good reputation for getting students into grad school. I have a 3.46 overall and 3.65 in my history major, with GRE scores of 770 verbal (99th), 730 quant (78th), and 6 writing (98th). I am writing an honors thesis, I've done a summer archival internship with the National Park Service, I work at the my college's archives and special collections during the year. I read French comfortably and am learning German. I am an undergraduate Fellow at my school's Center for the Humanities, and have earned a grant for independent research. I travelled all over the east coast last summer doing my thesis research on that grant. I have also peer-tutored students in a Russian history lecture. I've taken four seminars, and have had excellent support in the admissions process from three of the best known (albeit oldest) professors in my department. I have ten apps out for history PHDs- Yale, Harvard, Princeton, University of Chicago, Cornell, NYU French Studies/ history, Brown, UNC Chapel Hill, Emory and Brandeis.

p.s. my focus in history is 1930's and 40's France, especially resistance and collaboration issues.

discuss.

1) You're in that "OMG I'M GONNA FREAK OUT!" phase like everybody else (including me!). That's why you're posting your "chance me!" thread now instead of back in the fall where you might've gotten some suggestions (as above). At this point, nobody can help you. Only you can help yourself to believe that you can do this process and you've given your best at this point. I can tell just from the way you wrote that paragraph. If you had told this to any professor, the first question one will ask you is, "Well, what are your research interests?" completely ignoring what you just said.

2) Did you study abroad in France? Might raise a few eyebrows if you didn't....

couldn't afford study abroad, unfortunately. And you're right, of course. This is a product of my panic at having completed the process and it being out of my hands. I've been in contact with all of the relevant faculty at all of those schools, and I didn't apply anywhere that I didn't get a positive email response, so I'm not totally clueless heh

1) You're in that "OMG I'M GONNA FREAK OUT!" phase like everybody else (including me!). That's why you're posting your "chance me!" thread now instead of back in the fall where you might've gotten some suggestions (as above). At this point, nobody can help you. Only you can help yourself to believe that you can do this process and you've given your best at this point. I can tell just from the way you wrote that paragraph. If you had told this to any professor, the first question one will ask you is, "Well, what are your research interests?" completely ignoring what you just said.

2) Did you study abroad in France? Might raise a few eyebrows if you didn't....

Sorry Ticklemepink but I love your post.

1) "Everyone freaks out, there's nothing you can do now, don't worry."

2) "Here's another thing to freak out about in case you haven't realized."

Sorry Ticklemepink but I love your post.

1) "Everyone freaks out, there's nothing you can do now, don't worry."

2) "Here's another thing to freak out about in case you haven't realized."

:lol:

I knew I was contradicting myself. I just had to post #2 if the OP really want to figure out what's "wrong" with his/her application instead of accepting the fact that everything's out of her/his control.

:lol:

I knew I was contradicting myself. I just had to post #2 if the OP really want to figure out what's "wrong" with his/her application instead of accepting the fact that everything's out of her/his control.

Yeah, no, I'm just pulling your leg. I did love it, though. It's one great thing about these boards, the mix of encouragement and realism... sometimes there's no telling from which someone is speaking. At least there is no backbiting or jealousy, that would add a strange flavor to the mix.