Transferring for Masters

I slid into a Masters of English program last Fall when I realized there was one available near where I work...in efforts to "stay in school" after my rejections from Philosophy PhD programs. I will have completed 12 credit hours at the end of this semester (Spring 2010) in my current Masters of English program. I earned my BA in Philosophy and German- I actually took no English classes while working on my undergraduate. However, I am looking at applying to the Masters of English program at a school closer to where I live. If admitted, I will be able to transfer six of my credits and begin Fall 2010. This school is also more prestigious.

I have missed the deadline for funding, but this will not be an issue for the time being. I have been paying tuition where I am currently, as their Masters program is not financially developed, and they only offer courses- not TA/GA or teaching opportunities. The program I am currently in is more for professional development than for academic research and teaching. To be blunt, I am looking for a stronger, better respected, and more developed and challenging program.

My question is: how would it look to department reviewers to see my applications to their larger, more "academic" (read: desirable) school while keeping in mind that I have already been admitted to and am pursuing a degree from lower quality Masters program at a university an hour away from where I live?

Also, any tips on how to approach this application and make its idiosyncrasies understandable and my desire to attend this school tangible would be greatly appreciated.

The SOP is the place to deal with the concerns you're voicing here. I actually had to deal with this in my current application to MIT--I'm already in a master's of English program, and I would be leaving that program to pursue the science writing MS. My entire statement of purpose was centered around explaining why I think transferring is the right move for me, why I want it, what I love about the program I am in but why I am not completely satisfied when I know the possibility of dream program X is available. So, I think you can make the transfer situation a strong argument for your commitment and all that, rather than just trying to make an excuse. Of course, I guess I won't actually know that until I hear back from MIT...but you know. The point is that, in my opinion, if you own up to your situation and really ground your SOP in your academic/career goals and the reasons your research interests draw you to Desirable University, you can explain and support your decision to transfer.