HELP recommendation writer nonresponsive

Butterfly_effect

I'm not sure how to best respond or handle this situation. 

For the NSF GRFP, one of my past PIs is writing me a letter. He has written for me in the past for grad school and the NSF last year. I asked him maybe 5 weeks ago and he agreed. I told him the due date was yesterday and he did not submit yesterday (due date is really today at 5PM). Also, he will not directly communicate with me (always goes through his assistant), and I got no response to my reminder email yesterday. What should I do? I believe I had this problem with him once before and had to actually call the assistant to check in on the day the reference letter was due to ensure everything was submitted. Things were easier in the past, when the post-doc I worked with was still in the lab. She was super responsive and helpful. The PI is...not at all. 

They have extended the submission until tomorrow at 5:00 EST.  I know mine came down to the wire too, so I do sympathize. 

One work around would be to draft your own letter (or at least provide a very detailed outline) and insist on meeting/ Skyping them tomorrow to go over it and clarify what needs to be done by 5:00 EST that day.  Hold their feet to the fire and force them to make a decision (either support you or not).  If that fails, try to get a current Post-Doc to write something (anything) so you don't get disqualified on the reference letter requirements.  Good luck!

So what ended up happening is I called his lab and talked with the lab manager (the assistant was not there yet) and left a message. Then I emailed later in the afternoon and the assistant was super helpful and really badgered my PI to submit the letter, which he finally did around 4. He also sent me an email to confirm (which was the first time he's directly communicated with me at all about this). 

I don't think it would have been a good idea in my case to draft my own letter. He has written for me in the past for the same fellowship and the letter he currently has is a very positive one (based on reviews from last year) and would only need a little updating. I also personally don't like the idea of trying to influence my writers in any way. I understand there are situations where writers may need help, but I wasn't asked for input. 

Glad to hear it worked out.

In my case, I provided letter writers with both essays, along with a CV and transcripts, and a bullet outline of the major points I hoped for them to address in my letters.  Obviously, depending on the nature of your relationship with your letter writers, this can be helpful or not.  I felt that given the nature of the application and the key points that needed to be addressed, I highlighted how both myself and the research I hope to conduct fit within the IM and BI of the NSF's requirements.  This at least gives them a jumping off point for them to work from.