Choosing specialized courses after degree

Hi there

I am new here. I completed my degree in mechanical engineering and I am looking for a job. While on one  interview they are asking me for the certifications for the specialized field. I don't know what certification has to be done. Last day while I was surfing the net, I saw a certification for welding http://www.weldtechtraining.com/welding-courses/customized-welding-courses/? I am confused in selecting a particular category in it. Which course will have more scope now? How about choosing stick welding?

Assuming this is a job within the field of mechanical engineering that you applied to, they are most definitely not referring to a certificate as a welder. A welder is a job all within itself that one learns on the job or picks up a 1-2 year degree specifically in this field. Welders can then go on to specialize in specific types of welding.

What kind of degree did you pick up and where from? Generally, certificates and specializations is something you would have covered in school. I assumed they would likely be referring to you becoming certified as a Professional Engineer but there are certificates for MEs within aerospace, composite, automation, manufacturing, and others. Again, these are sometimes called "Grad. Cert." and your faculty would've discussed with you about acquiring one during the course of your studies or following graduation.