Question about transcripts...

chaussettes

When I was in high school, I took three math classes through SDSU. I got unit credit for these courses at the university I am currently attending, and it is listed on my transcript under my AP credits as SDSU: 10 units. I am planning to apply to grad school for Comp Lit. Will admissions look at me askance if I have these 10 units unaccounted for? I don't want to go through the hassle of ordering transcripts through SDSU (they are cheap, but the process is tedious, esp. because I have lost the ID number SDSU assigned me) for three courses whose units I do not need to graduate and which are completely irrelevant to my field of study. Since they say I have to have transcripts from all institutions attended, do I really have to order the transcripts for the math I took in high school?

I can see your point, and I would ask the graduate school about it. What you don't want to do is decide not to send it, and then have the department question your decision. I had to send 6 different transcripts to my schools, two of which were for a single class each. Sooo annoying, but required.

I can see your point, and I would ask the graduate school about it. What you don't want to do is decide not to send it, and then have the department question your decision. I had to send 6 different transcripts to my schools, two of which were for a single class each. Sooo annoying, but required.

+1.

Ask. Most schools won't care, but you don't want your app to be considered incomplete and thrown out because you didn't send this transcript.

Honestly, I would suggest just setting aside one day to deal with this. Since you're applying for fall 2011, you definitely have the time. It won't be fun dealing with finding out your code and everything, but you'll feel better later having submitted everything perfectly, you know?

Sorry to hijack your thread, I have a similar question. Do I need to order trranscripts from my high school where I earned AP credits?

No, you don't. The notes on your college transcript are more than sufficient. Anyway, you would have earned credit not from you HS grade, but from the actual AP score... so what you should really do is get ETS to mail your AP results to your schools. It's easy if you still have even one of the original AP score reports.

Edited by jacib

I just went through something similar. I had one math class at a different school during my freshman year, and I just ignored it because it's not relevant to the MFA that I want. When I checked the status of my application at one of the schools I'm applying to, it said 'incomplete' because the course was listed on my transcript without a grade. So I freaked out and called every school where I applied to see if they need the additional transcript. As it turns out, only 2 out of 5 want an official copy, and one wants an unofficial copy. My advice would be to call the admissions office everywhere you applied and just ask.