Language Proficiency... what do they mean?

killerbees

Hi,

This is my first post. Place seems like a great resource. I wish I'd found it before I submitted all my applications. :)

I have a question about language proficiency. Almost all of the programs to which I applied require something along the lines of "proficiency in a modern foreign language." Beyond that, it gets a bit vague. I'm applying to two-year Master's in IR-type programs, some theory and some area studies, to give you an idea of what they may be looking for as far as languages. For schools, let's say Georgetown, SAIS, AU-SIS, and GW. Most likely, I will be required to pass a test proving proficiency in a foreign language at some point during my two years in grad school.

I lived overseas for the past four years and I studied the language of the host country while I was there. I'm having a hard time assessing my language skills however, partly because I'm not sure exactly what these schools consider proficient. Do they want me to be able to go to the market and converse with the fishmonger? Or do they want me to be able to discuss the underlying reason for the current political unrest? Etc. I'd imagine it's more of the latter but I could be wrong.

I need to make a decision soon about signing up for additional language classes to make sure that I am indeed proficient. Does anybody have a clue as to what the subject matter is on the sort of language tests given by any of the above schools?

Cheers.

Also, my apologies if this subject has been broached previously. I did a search but didn't find anything. And if it's in the wrong place, my apologies again.

They likely mean that you need to be able to read a scholarly text in a foreign language and understand it. That is the most common type of requirement for a foreign language proficiency in grad school. Beyond that it usually is much more specific to the program/field/school.

Some standards are by length of college study, "equivalent to 4 semesters". "Advanced" proficiency is usually linked to 3 or more years of college level study.

Some go by ACTFL standards: http://www.sil.org/l...es/contents.htm

Others use FSI standards: http://www.sil.org/l...ciencyScale.htm

There are other scales for military or general use such as the DLPT and the JLPT(only for Japanese).

Ask your department what scale or test they use. It can be tricky with descriptions like Mid-High Intermediate Proficiency (what does that really mean, anyway?). You can also take a placement exam at your university to see what class level you'd qualify for.

Edited by Lauren the Librarian

A quick "don't worry about it" anecdote: I haven't studied Spanish since middle school, but I needed a language for my MA proficiency test. I read Spanish short stories with a dictionary every couple of day for 3 months and got a book called something like "Spanish for Translation." The test was a two-page excerpt from a Spanish text in my field. And we had two hours. Open book with my GIANT dictionary. Easy peasy. True, they didn't need "advanced" proficiency, so when I do it for my PhD, I think I'll need a year of reading and a summer immersion trip, and I'll be fine. You've had four years in country? You're fine.

While IR may be more stringent, Religion programs usually ask you to accurately translate a two or so page article in a generous amount of time using a dictionary. Some schools even have old tests available for you (Chicago's for example are here). When I first saw them, I was surprised how easy they were; I'm reasonably sure I came into college able to pass my university's graduate proficiency exam in two languages, judging from the graduate students in my language classes... though sadly I'd have to study to pass either one now.

When they ask you to fill in different levels on your apps, they general want something different. Proficiency and level of achievement are two distint issues. Only Princeton's app was very specific, and was totally insanely high. If I recall correctly, intermediate was able to participate in "non-technical" and "technical in your field" reading/writing/discussion while advanced was "technical in any field", or something along those lines! I guess what surprised me was just the separation of technical in- and outside of your field. Technical is technical... I mean, I tried to help one of my Turkish friends with a translation of the operating manual for a waste water treatment plant and I kept correcting the engineering jargon and saying "No, this isn't a real word" "No, this isn't a real word" "The grammar here is weird and unclear", and then she realized "Oh, no, sweetie, this is the ORIGINAL, not my translation. This is correct, I'm translating this English document INTO Turkish." And then I looked at her amazed and said, "You understand this? I don't understand all of this..."

Thanks, all.

My language of choice is Thai, as Thailand is where I was for four years. I used to speak Spanish quite well but those days are long gone. I was actually trying to decide whether I should stick with Thai or go back to Spanish. I think at this point I should stick with Thai as it's the most recent language I've done. I can read and write but I don't think I can do scholarly works.

Thanks, all.

My language of choice is Thai, as Thailand is where I was for four years. I used to speak Spanish quite well but those days are long gone. I was actually trying to decide whether I should stick with Thai or go back to Spanish. I think at this point I should stick with Thai as it's the most recent language I've done. I can read and write but I don't think I can do scholarly works.

Practice reading the local newspaper of record, and failing that, a tabloid. That's a great way to start learning a lot of relevant vocabulary.