Change in Percentile Score

BCHistory

I just now noticed that two of my score reports show different percentile scores for my AW section. When I took the test last June, my 5.0 was reported as a 77th percentile to the four schools I chose on test day. However, when I had scores later sent to additional schools, the subsequent reports showed my score as 81st percentile. How can the percentile simply change like this?

I just now noticed that two of my score reports show different percentile scores for my AW section. When I took the test last June, my 5.0 was reported as a 77th percentile to the four schools I chose on test day. However, when I had scores later sent to additional schools, the subsequent reports showed my score as 81st percentile. How can the percentile simply change like this?

Given my sub-par quantitative score, it's ironic I'm answering this, but I believe the percentiles are recalculated periodically as the mean scores rise and fall.

I took the GRE last April, and when I sent out an extra score report to one school in the fall I noticed a change in my AW and quantitative percentiles as well. I decided not to re-send my scores to any of my other schools, though. I imagine a tiny difference in percentile won't matter to the committees - even if they do compare GRE scores of potential applicants, I'm willing to bet they'll be looking at the raw score rather than the percentile ranking. So if you're worried that a percentile ranking of 77 rather than 81 will hurt you on your application, I don't think you should be.