Online Prereqs

Hi there!

I was hoping that someone could give me some more information regarding prereqs. I'm a Canadian student (out of field) applying to several schools in the US. Where would you recommend that I take Language Acquisition and Intro to Communication Disorders online? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks so much :)

@OGfromthe6 Northwestern has a great online pre-speech pathology program. There are 6 classes but you can take as many or as few as you like. The classes are asynchronous so you can do them at your own pace. I work full time so I took two per semester starting in January and am finishing up my last class now. There is an application process and a small fee but I think they more or less accept everyone and I got a decision very quickly. They don't offer an Intro to Comm. Disorders class but I took Language Development (should satisfy Language Acquisition requirement) there this summer and workload was very manageable.

Sacred Heart also has an online pre-speech pathology program that works similarly. You just need to submit your undergrad transcript and get approved in order to enroll. I took Intro to Comm. Disorders there last Spring and am wrapping up Biology now as one of my gen ed pre-reqs. They have a ton of other speech courses that I'm sure are great as well. I felt Northwestern would look better on my application so I took most of my pre-reqs there.

Utah State has good online pre-reqs. All available every semester, and you can take as  many or few as you'd like. When I took them a couple of years ago, it was about $300/credit, so the price is pretty reasonable, too. 

On 12/1/2016 at 11:40 AM, ElKel87 said:

@OGfromthe6 Northwestern has a great online pre-speech pathology program. There are 6 classes but you can take as many or as few as you like. The classes are asynchronous so you can do them at your own pace. I work full time so I took two per semester starting in January and am finishing up my last class now. There is an application process and a small fee but I think they more or less accept everyone and I got a decision very quickly. They don't offer an Intro to Comm. Disorders class but I took Language Development (should satisfy Language Acquisition requirement) there this summer and workload was very manageable.

Sacred Heart also has an online pre-speech pathology program that works similarly. You just need to submit your undergrad transcript and get approved in order to enroll. I took Intro to Comm. Disorders there last Spring and am wrapping up Biology now as one of my gen ed pre-reqs. They have a ton of other speech courses that I'm sure are great as well. I felt Northwestern would look better on my application so I took most of my pre-reqs there.

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into Northwestern and Sacred Heart. 

On 12/2/2016 at 10:52 AM, slporbust2016 said:

Utah State has good online pre-reqs. All available every semester, and you can take as  many or few as you'd like. When I took them a couple of years ago, it was about $300/credit, so the price is pretty reasonable, too. 

I have heard a lot about USU. I wasn't able to find these two courses on their website though. But I will be doing some other prereqs through them this spring and summer. And thank you so much for your response! 

Edited by OGfromthe6

13 hours ago, OGfromthe6 said:

I have heard a lot about USU. I wasn't able to find these two courses on their website though. But I will be doing some other prereqs through them this spring and summer. And thank you so much for your response! 

That's true. They don't have all the pre-reqs some schools require. I'm taking some as a grad student that I couldn't take at USU.