Emory - "Attach a Proposed Plan of Study"

11Q13

"a) MTS applicants should submit a two-to-three-page statement detailing their proposed discipline of study, topic of research, and special interests that they plan to pursue and develop at Candler.."

So umm, this is the only university I'm applying to that asks for something like this and I'm not sure what it's exactly looking for that isn't in my "autobiographical statement" which asks for:

* Significant life experiences that have affected your view of self, God, and the world. Include references to family members and significant others, courses, and experiences in college, church, service-related activities, and employment.

* Academic and other interests that motivate you to engage in theological studies.

* Ways the MTS program at Candler School of Theology fits your interests.

* Your plans following completion of study at Candler School of Theology.

How is a proposed plan of study different from the bolded above? Is a proposed plan of study written in a different style from an SOP? Am I supposed to give a semester by semester, year by year outline of classes I want to take? What do I do if I don't know 2-3 pages worth of what I want to study?

Hi,

It sounds as though Candler is asking for a research proposal. After stating topic(s) of interest, you could name courses that you intend to take as you begin the program, then courses or potential directed studies focused on your topic. You could also name professors with whom you would like to study, and whose instruction and guidance would be helpful to your education and research. The second post on written by mudlark, may be helpful to you. A MTS application would probably not expect the same amount of information and specificity as a doctoral proposal, but mudlark's suggestion could be adapted to fit your purpose well.

Edited by Mathētēs

Hi,

It sounds as though Candler is asking for a research proposal. After stating topic(s) of interest, you could name courses that you intend to take as you begin the program, then courses or potential directed studies focused on your topic. You could also name professors with whom you would like to study, and whose instruction and guidance would be helpful to your education and research. The second post on written by mudlark, may be helpful to you. A MTS application would probably not expect the same amount of information and specificity as a doctoral proposal, but mudlark's suggestion could be adapted to fit your purpose well.

Thanks for the reply, that makes a lot of sense.

What I'm trying to figure out now is what ought to be cut out of my "autobiographical statement" (I'm assuming I shouldn't repeat the same information in both?).

Like I say in the first post my "academic interests that motivate me to engage in theological studies" are the areas I want to study, which seem like they should go also in a "plan of study." For "ways the MTS program at Candler School of Theology fits my interests" should I stick to the non-academic stuff like the community in the div school, and the Methodist tradition? Because it certainly fits my interests by having professors that are experts in the fields I want to study, but talking about that seems like it should also go in a "plan of study" as well...

For instance I want to study with Luke Timothy Johnson because he focuses on Late Second Temple and because, in more eloquent words, I think the Jesus Seminar dudes are all a bunch of jerks and I want to prove them wrong and give them what for, something he specializes in. Are these my academic interests that motivate me to engage in theological education, or my plan of study?

Edited by 11Q13

Thanks for the reply, that makes a lot of sense.

What I'm trying to figure out now is what ought to be cut out of my "autobiographical statement" (I'm assuming I shouldn't repeat the same information in both?).

Like I say in the first post my "academic interests that motivate me to engage in theological studies" are the areas I want to study, which seem like they should go also in a "plan of study." For "ways the MTS program at Candler School of Theology fits my interests" should I stick to the non-academic stuff like the community in the div school, and the Methodist tradition? Because it certainly fits my interests by having professors that are experts in the fields I want to study, but talking about that seems like it should also go in a "plan of study" as well...

For instance I want to study with Luke Timothy Johnson because he focuses on Late Second Temple and because, in more eloquent words, I think the Jesus Seminar dudes are all a bunch of jerks and I want to prove them wrong and give them what for, something he specializes in. Are these my academic interests that motivate me to engage in theological education, or my plan of study?

I wouldn't share that your education is in some way related to your desire to show up the Jesus Seminar. For one, that's just a fruitless endeavor (they aren't all that well-respected in the NT community anyway). Secondly, it just makes you look crazy. Three, would you not be studying this if the JS didn't exist?

I wouldn't share that your education is in some way related to your desire to show up the Jesus Seminar. For one, that's just a fruitless endeavor (they aren't all that well-respected in the NT community anyway). Secondly, it just makes you look crazy. Three, would you not be studying this if the JS didn't exist?

Sorry I guess I was being too facetious to make it a good for instance.

The way I phrased it in one of my apps that directly asked "...I believe we are witnessing an extraordinary opportunity to utilize the momentum of these emerging trends (talking about Jesus Seminar, Cupitt, Ehrman, New Atheist, etc) to take theology and Biblical studies in new directions. Churches preaching on what, until recently, have been forbidden topics have the potential to respond in ways that will change how the next generation of Christians understand their own faith, its imperatives, its Scriptures, and its relationship to others..." and how I'm eager to be a part of that.

all that is to say my motivations for study is what I want to study...help

Sorry I guess I was being too facetious to make it a good for instance.

The way I phrased it in one of my apps that directly asked "...I believe we are witnessing an extraordinary opportunity to utilize the momentum of these emerging trends (talking about Jesus Seminar, Cupitt, Ehrman, New Atheist, etc) to take theology and Biblical studies in new directions. Churches preaching on what, until recently, have been forbidden topics have the potential to respond in ways that will change how the next generation of Christians understand their own faith, its imperatives, its Scriptures, and its relationship to others..." and how I'm eager to be a part of that.

all that is to say my motivations for study is what I want to study...help

I can dig that - and in a confessional setting, that's probably something they're looking for (meeting the current challenges for the faith).