Junior POLS student wanting to go to grad school

JPhoenix

Hello, I am a Junior student at Southern Illinois University. I am wanting to go to graduate school and I am simply looking for some advice. I have done great so far in my undergraduate years with an overall G.P.A 3.92. I am a political science major and I wish to continue on in graduate school studying American politics. I have looked at schools in which are rated high for the discipline. Other than my GPA I have been involved on campus in organizations and have volunteered. My pols gpa I believe is 3.7. I am wanting a PhD in political science (American Politics). Schools on my mind are U. of Michigan, Michigan State, U. of Wisconsin, U. of Minnesota, and North carolina. I will be applying for graduate school in fall 2010, so I am wanting to make sure I am in the best position possible to get into the schools I have listed above. I plan on taking the GRE this August, but of course I worry about that cause I hate standardized tests. So basically I am asking for any advice of things I should do to make sure I have the best chance to get into a grad school I want. Thank you for any advice. Also any other schools that I am overlooking would be appreciated (dont mention ivy leagues cause im not into those schools). Again thank you.

If you are interested in American politics can I assume you want to do quantitative methods as well? If that is the case I also recommend MIT, TAMU, Rochester, Duke, and Ohio St in no particular order. These programs have strong quantitative methods and are supposedly great places to do American politics.

Take math and get good grades. If you have to decide between a math class and something you are interested in, take the math class. Become someone's RA and strive to be the BEST RA they ever had, then ask them for a letter. Write an empirical honors thesis, and get a letter from your supervisor (as natofone said), and submit the honors thesis as your writing sample. If you don't test well, take out a loan to get Kaplan or something to get your GREs as high as possible. Read top journal papers by profs you want to study with and structure your SOP that way - specific problems or puzzles that you see need solving, and your proposal to do it.

Take math courses! If you haven't taken calculus or statistics yet, do so! Also, from what my political science advisors go, grad schools like to see a lot of Econ to, so try to get that in if you haven't.

Start buddying up with your professors. I'm lucky that I go to a school within a University with about 40 people per year in it. All our professors know us extremely well, and a personal/deep letter from a faculty member is much better than an empty letter from a well-known researcher.

IPSQQ: Where did you hear that about being an RA and getting a letter from a resident? I've been an RA for four years, and I do not see how having a resident write a letter for me would be an indication of how well I would do in graduate school. :) Did you hear this from someone? I'm wondering if I missed an opportunity.

I meant research assistant and with respect to econ, just because it is not explicitly asked for does not mean it is not looked upon favorably. Political science more or less steals most of its models from econ, and it is helpful if you walk in knowing at least some basics about public goods problems. I would also echo cpaige in that it is nice to have letters which talk about what a great paper you wrote, then to see THAT PAPER. Coordinate your writing sample with your letters, don't just pull out something random, even if you think it's better.

my advice is to treat each element of your application with the utmost care. that is, make every part of your application as good as it could possibly be.

1. the GRE - begin studying 3 months in advance. take as many practice tests as you can, at least 5, and score above 700 on both sections.

2. SOP - give yourself plenty of time so that you can write it, edit it, take a long break from it, and begin again. do not spend too much time talking about your past accomplishments; try to focus on your future goals.

3. writing sample - I agree that using part of your thesis is a great idea. include a short abstract describing the project in whole and where the part your are submitting fits in. and, yes, writing a senior thesis is essential.

4. classes - focus on keeping your GPA as high as possible these last few semesters, round out your math/econ classes, and learn a foreign language.