Question about language req's and applications

menge

I've come across this same question on two applications now, and am trying to think about the best way to answer it. Essentially, the questions reads, "if you don't currently possess the language proficiencies needed for your program, tell us how you plan to achieve these." My field is Religion in America, so the only languages I need are 2 modern research languages. Without too much difficulty I anticipate I could brush up on my Spanish enough to pass an exam, and hopefully take a summer intensive for French after my first two semesters. My advisors have told me these language requirements aren't usually that important for admissions (in my field), but these questions are making me nervous. Any advice? 

On 12/16/2016 at 2:28 PM, menge said:

I've come across this same question on two applications now, and am trying to think about the best way to answer it. Essentially, the questions reads, "if you don't currently possess the language proficiencies needed for your program, tell us how you plan to achieve these." My field is Religion in America, so the only languages I need are 2 modern research languages. Without too much difficulty I anticipate I could brush up on my Spanish enough to pass an exam, and hopefully take a summer intensive for French after my first two semesters. My advisors have told me these language requirements aren't usually that important for admissions (in my field), but these questions are making me nervous. Any advice? 

I think that's all you need to say, really. If you have Spanish say, "I have proficiency in Spanish, but <ABC program> offers <Academic reading course> which will provide me with a more extensive knowledge so I can <work with primary / secondary sources?>...Additionally, I plan to take <intensive French during summers> so I can achieve my goal of <working with ___ sources>."