Blakemore Foundation Fellowship 2016-17

hobakie

Hi all!

Is anyone applying to the Blakemore Foundation fellowship for the advanced study of Asian languages? I am applying this year and do not know many people applying or who have received it before. 

• 1 month later...

Hello hobakie, 

I saw you in the CLS thread as well. I am applying for both same as you. I am also a semi-finalist for Advanced Chinese in CLS. So by semi-finalist I mean, I'm one of the people they are stringing along a few more weeks before delivering the real verdict. 

As far as the Blakemore goes, did you apply for Tsinghua or ICLP? 

I applied for Taiwan personally. I've studied at Beida before and also at the Mandarin Language Traning center. I am not able to read or write 繁体字 but I loved my time in Taipei last year and Beijing is a death trap IMO. It was an easy decision to make. 

I didn't expect to get anywhere at all with CLS. Nor do I expect to interview for Blakemore. (Not a lack of confidence mind you, just a sense that my being an older student returning to college post military service is not a blessing sometimes) I meet Blakemore's requirements for minimum mandarin study, not by a wide margin, but I do. I don't know how much my just getting over the hump means for my chances, the answer their applications manager gave me in our correspondence may have just been a diplomatic reply instead of a realistic "your odds aren't good". I explained my study experience and they said it meets their criteria however. 

On 2/3/2017 at 2:20 AM, UnawareInGeneral said:

Hello hobakie, 

I saw you in the CLS thread as well. I am applying for both same as you. I am also a semi-finalist for Advanced Chinese in CLS. So by semi-finalist I mean, I'm one of the people they are stringing along a few more weeks before delivering the real verdict. 

As far as the Blakemore goes, did you apply for Tsinghua or ICLP? 

I applied for Taiwan personally. I've studied at Beida before and also at the Mandarin Language Traning center. I am not able to read or write 繁体字 but I loved my time in Taipei last year and Beijing is a death trap IMO. It was an easy decision to make. 

I didn't expect to get anywhere at all with CLS. Nor do I expect to interview for Blakemore. (Not a lack of confidence mind you, just a sense that my being an older student returning to college post military service is not a blessing sometimes) I meet Blakemore's requirements for minimum mandarin study, not by a wide margin, but I do. I don't know how much my just getting over the hump means for my chances, the answer their applications manager gave me in our correspondence may have just been a diplomatic reply instead of a realistic "your odds aren't good". I explained my study experience and they said it meets their criteria however. 

Oh wow you are in Texas?? I'm from there but go to school up north, small world. Anyway yeah I'm applying for CLS/Blakemore/Fulbright this year. I picked ICLP, I spent a semester at Tsinghua my junior year and while the language program was good, I am just not a fan of Beijing (healthwise and overall vibe) Its a very fast pace lifestyle and its really easy to get caught up in that English bubble so rather not go there. Also I feel you on the deathtrap thingy. The amount of times I almost got killed on the sidewalk by actual cars or people on scooters is aggravating and worrisome. Plus living accommodations are just better in Taiwan 

I knew a few people who did ICLP and they didn't have to know traditional for the program and overtime they became accustomed to the characters. I'm not feeling too confident about Blakemore also though, I did not realize just how competitive it was until after I submitted and looked at the previous winners. For Chinese they are all like post docs or have finished a masters. Even the FAQ says they generally don't reward to new college graduates that often but fingers crossed since my trajectory is a bit different (STEM field), I can always apply again next time tho. 

What makes you think being older isn't good for CLS? When I got it the first time there were many older students, one even had a kid and family.

Edited by hobakie

1 hour ago, hobakie said:

Oh wow you are in Texas?? I'm from there but go to school up north, small world. Anyway yeah I'm applying for CLS/Blakemore/Fulbright this year. I picked ICLP, I spent a semester at Tsinghua my junior year and while the language program was good, I am just not a fan of Beijing (healthwise and overall vibe) Its a very fast pace lifestyle and its really easy to get caught up in that English bubble so rather not go there. Also I feel you on the deathtrap thingy. The amount of times I almost got killed on the sidewalk by actual cars or people on scooters is aggravating and worrisome. Plus living accommodations are just better in Taiwan 

I knew a few people who did ICLP and they didn't have to know traditional for the program and overtime they became accustomed to the characters. I'm not feeling too confident about Blakemore also though, I did not realize just how competitive it was until after I submitted and looked at the previous winners. For Chinese they are all like post docs or have finished a masters. Even the FAQ says they generally don't reward to new college graduates that often but fingers crossed since my trajectory is a bit different (STEM field), I can always apply again next time tho. 

What makes you think being older isn't good for CLS? When I got it the first time there were many older students, one even had a kid and family.

Well, when I read the sort of questions they were asking for CLS they felt very.... undergraduate, new to the adult world, sort of questions. Don't mean that in a negative way just, they just seemed like they were asking the sort of questions you direct at an audience without much experience in the wider world and that this was perhaps their target audience for the program. I figured that might also be by way of asking one question that anyone can answer, but I can't say for sure. I have read stories from other folks, and met folks from my university who are doing their graduate work and have received CLS, but I'm a shade older than them even still. I remember thinking its got to be a small pool of candidates who can apply for Advanced language studies in the more difficult languages without ever having been in country before and the question about how do you cope seemed an especially, "welcome to college, young man" sort of question. 

Yeah, I saw the sort of background a lot of the Blakemore recipients are coming from. I have a solid professional background, both nuclear and environmental by way of work experience and education. I'm in my last semester of grad school now, but they did have a lot of PhD, double masters, sort of folks on their awardees list. I spent 6 months last year in intensive language programs in Taiwan and Guilin while doing more graduate work and I have clear career goals. Still, that program is exceptionally competitive and compared to other things I applied for I feel like I'm swimming with fish more my size in that application pool. 

If I at least get to the interview stage for that one, I just knocked out my first OPI exam and scored Intermediate High. That's right at the "you know enough to be considered" level so I can at least exhibit having put in real effort and commitment. So frustrating having to wait to find out about all of these! 

I feel you you on the "English bubble" issue. It's why I won't ever go back to Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, etc for language study. I will say however that that is a HUGE problem in Taipei as well. ICLP is a great program, but the city has tons of English speakers in it. (Assuming I get another chance to study that is. I'm just about to graduate so I'm months from knowing either where my career restarts or what language program I'm going to to further forestall return to the job market.) If I don't pick up a fellowship or scholarship I may never have the opportunity to return to language study. I'm doing a second masters part time while working if nothing pans out language school wise but that's another year to wait for Boren/Blakemore to cycle around. 

I had an application in for Fulbright, but my proposal was to study the knock on effects of the Singapore free trade agreement in surrounding areas where all the manufacturing done by Singaporean firms actually occurs and relate that to the potential for second and third order effects of implementing the TPP but since the TPP died recently I withdrew my application. There's nothing to study now. 

Edited by UnawareInGeneral
Forgot to answer a question

32 minutes ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

Well, when I read the sort of questions they were asking for CLS they felt very.... undergraduate, new to the adult world, sort of questions. Don't mean that in a negative way just, they just seemed like they were asking the sort of questions you direct at an audience without much experience in the wider world and that this was perhaps their target audience for the program. I figured that might also be by way of asking one question that anyone can answer, but I can't say for sure. I have read stories from other folks, and met folks from my university who are doing their graduate work and have received CLS, but I'm a shade older than them even still. I remember thinking its got to be a small pool of candidates who can apply for Advanced language studies in the more difficult languages without ever having been in country before and the question about how do you cope seemed an especially, "welcome to college, young man" sort of question. 

Yeah, I saw the sort of background a lot of the Blakemore recipients are coming from. I have a solid professional background, both nuclear and environmental by way of work experience and education. I'm in my last semester of grad school now, but they did have a lot of PhD, double masters, sort of folks on their awardees list. I spent 6 months last year in intensive language programs in Taiwan and Guilin while doing more graduate work and I have clear career goals. Still, that program is exceptionally competitive and compared to other things I applied for I feel like I'm swimming with fish more my size in that application pool. 

If I at least get to the interview stage for that one, I just knocked out my first OPI exam and scored Intermediate High. That's right at the "you know enough to be considered" level so I can at least exhibit having put in real effort and commitment. So frustrating having to wait to find out about all of these! 

I feel you you on the "English bubble" issue. It's why I won't ever go back to Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, etc for language study. I will say however that that is a HUGE problem in Taipei as well. ICLP is a great program, but the city has tons of English speakers in it. (Assuming I get another chance to study that is. I'm just about to graduate so I'm months from knowing either where my career restarts or what language program I'm going to to further forestall return to the job market.) If I don't pick up a fellowship or scholarship I may never have the opportunity to return to language study. I'm doing a second masters part time while working if nothing pans out language school wise but that's another year to wait for Boren/Blakemore to cycle around. 

I had an application in for Fulbright, but my proposal was to study the knock on effects of the Singapore free trade agreement in surrounding areas where all the manufacturing done by Singaporean firms actually occurs and relate that to the potential for second and third order effects of implementing the TPP but since the TPP died recently I withdrew my application. There's nothing to study now. 

hmmmm that's interesting. I always thought the questions were aimed towards people who have never been abroad before not really those who have never experienced the world. I think alot of applicants assume that because they have been around the block and experienced many things that they automatically can just copy and paste those experiences to life in another country. It is hard and not like anything I've ever experienced, it humbles you real quick and I think they are just trying to see whether or not you realize that. But I can understand your POV as well. Didn't realize Guangzhou was also bad in terms of the English thing, should have figured though since people flock there for business purposes. 

Yeah for Blakemore I am banking on my unique experiences, STEM background, and language level which is pretty high to have only been studying it for four years,but I have backup plans for days so either way I am fine. Did you apply to ICLP yet? when I emailed I was told to wait and see if I am a finalist first before wasting 100 dollars on the nonrefundable app fee. 

6 hours ago, hobakie said:

hmmmm that's interesting. I always thought the questions were aimed towards people who have never been abroad before not really those who have never experienced the world. I think alot of applicants assume that because they have been around the block and experienced many things that they automatically can just copy and paste those experiences to life in another country. It is hard and not like anything I've ever experienced, it humbles you real quick and I think they are just trying to see whether or not you realize that. But I can understand your POV as well. Didn't realize Guangzhou was also bad in terms of the English thing, should have figured though since people flock there for business purposes. 

Yeah for Blakemore I am banking on my unique experiences, STEM background, and language level which is pretty high to have only been studying it for four years,but I have backup plans for days so either way I am fine. Did you apply to ICLP yet? when I emailed I was told to wait and see if I am a finalist first before wasting 100 dollars on the nonrefundable app fee. 

Well, it's not that there's an absence of alternatives to language study. I have job offers contingent on finishing my degree. I would just rather get the chance to really add something substantive to my language level before I return to work and what will al last certainly be the end of "studying" without distractions. 

I did did not apply to ICLP yet, and the application fee is 100 dollars yes. But the deposit they expect from you is 500 for the summer and 500 for the following year. It's borderline silly to expect you to drop 1,100 dollars for a faint hope of receiving funding. I sent the program coordinator a message about that yesterday actually, asking about it. I have to wait till Monday to get an answer I'm sure. 

14 hours ago, hobakie said:

I received a reply pretty quickly from the program manager. She said to just wait to see if I'm a finalist, then submit it. She said they'll pay the deposit and everything once they know you are a finalist. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...