Nervous about Low GRE Score

rigirl1995

I took the GRE recently and scored a 151 quantitative and 152 verbal. I studied really hard, and I do not want to drop any more money on the test with application deadlines so close. I am an engineering major, and I have done well in all my calculus based math course, but I struggle with the math on the GRE. I think I studied too broadly and never mastered difficult questions. The PhD program I am most interested in told me research matters the most. After that a competitive applicant is someone with a GPA at or above a 3.0 and a quantitative score at or above 155. I know I'm only 4 points off, but I worry my extensive research experience and 3.5 GPA won't be enough. Is a lot of a experience ever enough to compensate for a low score?

I do not believe that there is any correlation between doing very well in Calculus courses and performing well on the GRE. I based this on the fact that I also did very well in Multivariable Calculus which was the only math course I took since the Fall semester of my freshman year.

I bought 3 GRE practice books and realized that although I could do the math, I always ran out of TIME. I had to change my approach which included reading the questions and graphs very carefully the first time (I have a habit of reading problems twice to ensure my understanding) and doing many practice problems at a faster rate of speed. Doing problems at faster rate of speed also meant I had to avoid careless mistakes which was not always an easy task. 

55 minutes ago, rigirl1995 said:

The PhD program I am most interested in told me research matters the most.

Your 3.5 GPA, extensive research, SOP, and LORs are 4 out of 5 things your PhD program will be considering so I believe these can help compensate for your GREs.

48 minutes ago, rigirl1995 said:

I studied really hard, and I do not want to drop any more money on the test with application deadlines so close.

How close are those deadlines? If it is possible, I think you should try the GREs again.

@rigirl1995 Did you take the GREs within the last 14 days? If you did then you will still need to wait one more week before you can take it again. If this is the case then you would not be able to make January 15th deadlines.

I think we all worry a bit as to whether we will get into our 'choice' programs or did we do enough to get noticed by POIs/ admissions committees. 

Some things you no longer have in your control. GPA is done. Research done. GREs are done. LORs are hopefully done. You still have control of putting together the best SOP possible before January 15th. 

I wish you success!