MS - Historic Preservation

Thanks for the info and response. What exactly have you heard that's negative about the program? We are definitely going to be living in GA so one positive that I can see is having some connections via SCAD with South GA. And yes, this is really her only option. I'm currently a divinity student in NC and I graduate in May '12. I encouraged her to apply to some of the schools around here (I think that UNCG has a program?) but she didn't want to commit another year to NC. She's ready to get back to GA! So it does seem that SCAD is her only option. But before sinking $30,000 into a program, I want to make sure that it will open some doors for jobs. It doesn't have to be the best program, but one that can get her foot in the door of HP.

Well as a native of NC, I'm going to be a little biased towards encouraging someone to stay in my beautiful home state. :) SCAD will definitely have connections with what's going on in GA. UNCG does have a program and I've heard excellent things about it. If I were choosing between the two I would probably pick UNCG. It's a great school and it's under the umbrella of a nationally renowned university system. Also, UNCG is located in an area rich in history (unfortunately, maybe not as tourist-centric as Savannah) and the benefits of living inside the research triangle cannot be overlooked. Take a look through the faculty pages on each program's website and see where the faculty have received their training. Are you guys residents of NC by now or are you still GA residents? I'm asking because if she's an NC resident and attending UNCG she may come out much cheaper in terms of funding. SCAD is very very expensive and I worry that the benefits of attending the program may not outweigh the cost or debt load required for attendance. I'd say attending UNCG, she'll come out with more money in her pocket and a more academically sound education. BUT, if your goal is to get back to GA then it may make more sense that she receive her training in the area where she plans to work. Ultimately, it's a decision your wife will have to make. I'd strongly encourage her to visit both programs and talk to the faculty and students. Ask the faculty what makes their program so special!

I don't want to say anything publicly that is just hearsay. I've never visited or been enrolled in the SCAD program so it's not fair for me to just spout off rumors.

Edited by emeryshores

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you apply? Have you heard back from any schools yet? I am currently enrolled at SCAD in the historic preservation MA and it is TERRIBLE. I applied to Pratt and SAIC this year. Still waiting to hear from SAIC.

Sorry to hear about SCAD. I visited Columbia for an open house last fall and decided then and there that it was a done deal. I was accepted in March and I can't wait to go this fall!

I don't mind if you ask what I don't like at all, in fact, I would like to share my experience with as many people as possible so they are not stuck in this position. I will try not to be long winded with this- there isn't much I like about the school! Basically, the programme is either understaffed or under-regulated (maybe a combination of both). In many instances, the teachers are sub par professionals that work in some aspect of the preservation field but are not even that highly educated (one of my teachers only had a BFA!!!). Some of the classes are only offered online, which is not an appropriate teaching method for this subject (I am doing the all online programme which is part of my mistake). I have heard from others that I have talked to that do combination online/on campus classes that the on campus classes are better, but not much. I have complained to the administration about teachers that disappear from the online courses for weeks at a time with no feedback, grading, etc. and they seem to think it is just how it is and they can't do much to help. I have gone to two deans and a chair and no one cares that I am unsatisfied (or that other are- there are a group of about five of us that have been formally complaining since October). In addition, the material is not challenging at all. One of my classes this term has a 50 page book and that is it! Totally unacceptable for graduate level work. The lectures for this class don't add much either- maybe about 30-45 min per week of additional information. For the most part, the classes are not well laid out and the lesson plans and deadlines are determined not by the teacher, but by whoever designed the course. Often times we are given tests with information that was never covered. When I have complained, the teachers remove the wrong answer from the grade books because, as I have been told by three of them, they don't write or see what is on the test until after they are taken. It's mind boggling and these are just a few of the issues I am dealing with. It is impossible to connect with teachers and admin (expect to spend about an hour each day making calls and writing e-mails demanding a response), and even when you do no one cares. They blame other departments or other people in the administration and when I talk to them they blame someone else. No accountability and no desire to give students their $3500 worth per class. One of the reasons I wanted to go to SCAD was a study abroad programme in France. I began enquiring immediately after my first term started and they got rid of the programme for graduate students this term! They said it had ceased a while ago and when I enquired as to why it was still on the website they gave me some excuse about how they are reorganizing the programme and just hadn't removed it.

The whole experience has soiled my love for the subject matter and I am now at a point where I feel like I need to re-evaluate my chosen path. I applied to Pratt and have been accepted and am waiting to hear from SAIC, but I am honestly not that excited about doing this at an art school. There are very few public institutions that offer this as a master's and the ones that do are really amazing schools like Columbia, Cornell, etc. that I would never get into. I feel a little stuck at this point, especially having just wasted nearly $40,000 at SCAD and feeling like I have learned absolutely NOTHING. OK, maybe a few things from extensive research I do outside of class to try to learn, but I can't give any credit to the school. It feels more like a first year undergrad class- lots of busy work, quizzes, discussion points, and no real critical thinking. At this point in my education I expected to be doing a lot of long papers, critical thinking, and so on. Sorry for the rant, but I hope that gives you some idea of what is going on here.

Did you read this ddsdevil? This is probably a better source of info than what I could give. Just FYI.

Acceptance from Columbia yesterday. Waiting to hear about funding. Also still waiting to hear from SAIC. They are taking soooo long, which is a bummer because now the two schools I am in would like to know my decision soon. I just wish I had the full picture with acceptances and funding!

Where did you decide to go?

Yes, I read the above and just wanted to get some different perspectives. Mostly all that I have heard is negative. Their website is terrible and provides very little information. I have been in contact via email with SCAD for two weeks and have yet to talk with anyone that knows anything. (BTW, my wife sucks at this kind of research so that's why I'm doing it for her) I really want her to pick a good program, but it will be hard for us to take another two years for her to do a masters. The SCAD MAHP is very practical for us, but it is expensive and I'm very frustrated with the leadership there. UGA is another option for us. We have to make a decision, but I want it to be an informed one, something difficult with SCAD.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the help everyone. My wife is now considering Georgia State and UGA. Any know much about either of these programs?

I don't know much about either program, but based on what you mentioned as your wife's interests previously, it seems like the Georgia State program might be a good fit. You said that she was possibly interested in working in a museum, and their program seems to have an emphasis on things like interpretation, while also having more general preservation training.