Trying to switch from CSU to UC system

qbiinz

Question

So I'm getting my bachelors in electrical engineering this spring from San Jose State. I'm trying to get into the masters program for various UC's because their programs fit more to my interests in computer graphics and parallel processing using multi-cored GPUs. SJSUs MSEE program is impacted and relatively weak in these areas. Unfortunately, being a CSU there wasn't much chance to do any research or gain any publications, as these opportunities as few as they are, are usually primarily saved for graduate students.  I'm wondering how much this will hurt my chances at making the switch. 

I have a modest GPA 3.75 and 3 solid letters of rec. Also, unfortunately, I tanked my GRE (157 quant(67%), 148 verbal(38%), 3.5 analytical(48%) ) because I was planning on going to SJSU for my masters and taking it wasn't required. After talking to several professors and the graduate adviser, they convinced me I needed to apply somewhere other than SJSU, so I took their advice and started looking at other programs.  This left me no time to study for the GRE before applications are due and results are as expected. 

1 answer to this question