M. Div. statement of purpose

avocet

Hi all,

I'm applying to several Master of Divinity programs that have a deadline of January 15/17 (Harvard Divinity School, Boston University, Union). While I've had my statements written for a couple months now, I'm starting to seriously overthink my statements as I re-read and refine them in the final days before submitting. My GPA is quite low (about 3.25, but grades improved during my last 2 years) so I'm really trying to make sure my statements are as convincing as possible and that it's clear that I believe I'm a good fit for each school.

I was originally planning on applying for MTS/MA programs as I am interested in eventually pursuing a doctorate and not ministry. Yet, when I visited BU they informed me that the M.Div is a suitable degree for doctorate preparation (HDS and Union confirmed this as well), as the extra year provides more time to develop research interests, connect with faculty, develop skills through field education, etc. 

I have a very strong interest in social justice and interfaith work, and I'm framing my statements to emphasize that I want to study in a school that has strong commitments to social justice and interfaith dialogue/ecumenical relations. I'm emphasizing my past experiences and how I hope to study the intersections of social justice and faith and religion's role in the public sphere. But where I'm running into trouble is explaining why I feel the M.Div. is the better option. Across the three applications, I've mentioned the following reasons for applying for a M.Div.: 1) The extra year allows me to complete field/contextual education that will help me better understand and develop my research, 2) The skills used in ministry will make me a better professor academically (BU mentioned that they believe professors who have training in skills commonly used in ministry are better lecturers and are better at forming interpersonal relationships with students) and would be beneficial personally in my activism work, and 3) I'd develop deeper connections to faculty with the extra year. 

I got a bit worried when a HDS admissions said one of the biggest reasons for rejecting an applicant was because they thought they were in the wrong program, hence why I've decided to include these reasons in my statement. Are these reasons appropriate to mention in my statements? And are they persuasive enough to the admissions board that I'd be a good fit for an M.Div. rather than MTS/MA? 

I think applying for the M.Div and talking briefly that this program is also a period of discernment for you will go over well. You're discerning potentially some kind of ministry (interfaith, social justice, etc) though leaning towards academic work but lets be real - that in of itself is a ministry too! In fact, we specifically call it "academic ministry." Union, HDS, BU, etc - they all see this every year and they understand. It's expected that who you are coming in will be different in three years time, as it should be or they've/you have failed in doing their job.

If your application read more along the lines of, "I'm applying to the M.Div program because of an interest in academic ministry or possibly becoming a police officer" - that would raise some eyebrows. Your situation will not.

The acceptance rate at BU and Union hovers around 50%, sometimes higher - HDS, last I heard, is closer to 35-40% for the M.Div. so you have that going for you. As long as your GPA shows an upward curve, your 3.2 isn't going to kill your chances. I nearly flunked out of school my Freshman year (seriously, I had two faculty meetings that recommended I withdraw but the President was willing to give me one semester to turn around), kept somewhere around a 3.0 GPA my Sophomore year, and the last two kept a 4.0 and I was eventually accepted to all of the top Div. schools with almost full rides, and I'm not an URM of any kind. Also, it's worth noting that funding for M.Div programs is generally always superior to MTS/MA programs, even once you account for the third year of the M.Div.

I'm applying to Ph.D. programs right now so I get the "let me look over this statement for the 99th time" jitters! Just go with your gut, take a deep breath, and the click the Submit button.