MFA Studio Art - Freak Out

Gwhar1

Has anyone had a any experience with Glasgow School of Art?  One of my Professors (from Scotland) is suggesting I go to Glasgow if I can. So I am putting together a Application for the MFA/Studio Art program. I like the diversity of the work in the on-line gallery and the the idea of studying outside of the US is exciting. I am having a difficult time finding out information about the usual grad school stuff, other than what is posted by the school. Funding, positive student experience, studio space, etc. They are part of the International Schools that accept Federal Student Loans Program. I was able to send my FAFSA vis school code. 

• 2 weeks later...

In Scotland so I have a little experience with GSA through friends and peers who attend/attended, I even went for an interview for the MFA there a couple of years ago. Didn't get accepted but it was for the best, I think I lacked confidence because basically the feedback I received was my work was well developed, independent etc  but I would benefit from spending a little time outside of education for personal development. They were right because boy did I lack confidence! I've been busy developing myself since then, getting opportunities in the UK and abroad and I definitely think it was the right call on their part. I decided to consider a mfa again this year so I am applying this year to the RCA in London because I'm intrigued by the Moving Image pathway. I won't be applying again to GSA because for me I don't think its a good fit in terms of the facilities for the type of work I make. 

GSA has a good reputation, a big aspect of the 'Glasgow Miracle' is folks that passed through the school and it means a lot of the students are not just from the UK.  I know there has been protests there in the last year. It would be worth googling that. The studio space was decent when I saw it in early 2014 but since 'The Fire INCIDENT' it might have changed? hopefully someone else can come along and clarify. Glasgow is a great city x!

Thanks for the info. This is a great help. I had no idea there was discontent among the students regarding GSA policies. A larger student body with limited access to limited studio space is a valid gripe. But the Idea of studying in the UK is attractive enough for me to see these limits as challenges instead of deal breakers. I am admittedly enamored by the “Glasgow miracle.” J However, the bit about GSA increasing acceptance by 25% to help fund the after-the-fire rebuild tells me funding is less likely and no funding means no-go for me.

I wonder what the rent is like in Glasgow. Do people often require flat-mates or are single occupancies affordable?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and good luck with RCA!!

I don't know if the masters is increasing its acceptance rate also but if you apply, it would be a good question, if their class size is also increasing. They might be more careful maintaining the masters resources/facilities. 

Rent isnt so so bad in Glasgow compared to many other cities like Edinburgh and London but most people I know who live there, while studying, live with others. You could check out gumtree.co.uk or sites like it for an idea of cost.