GRE Advice.. Please Help.

hopefulgradstudent

I am only applying to Master's programs and I have taken the GRE 3 times. My first scores were 152V and 4.0 AWA. The second time, I ended up doing worse on the AWA (3.0..) but I performed much better on the Verbal (160). I decided to take the test a 3rd time in order to improve my writing score and I scored 4.5 AWA which I was happy with. However, I did worse on the Verbal section this time (151). I already submitted my first two scores because I did not initially plan on taking the test a third time, but now I am debating sending the third score because the AWA is higher. My questions are 1) do you think acceptance could hinge solely on the AWA? and 2) since my program doesn't submission of GRE scores, would submitting my 3rd score help or harm my admission chances? 

Thanks! 

Edited by hopefulgradstudent

In what field are you applying? A 160 and 4.0 are pretty decent... I'm not sure including a 3rd set of scores would be worth the extra .5 bump, but possibly if you were applying to a program that has a heavy writing component.

2 hours ago, OhSoSolipsistic said:

In what field are you applying? A 160 and 4.0 are pretty decent... I'm not sure including a 3rd set of scores would be worth the extra .5 bump, but possibly if you were applying to a program that has a heavy writing component.

Hi, thank you for your reply! I'm applying to mostly sociology programs along with a human rights program and even a humanities program at one school. A few of them are Ivy though so I am a little concerned about that. 

2 hours ago, hopefulgradstudent said:

Hi, thank you for your reply! I'm applying to mostly sociology programs along with a human rights program and even a humanities program at one school. A few of them are Ivy though so I am a little concerned about that. 

Hm, well it's a toss up. I personally wouldn't since it shows a low verbal score again, and soc isn't a hugely writing-dominant field, and a 4.0 is already 59th percentile. I'd even argue that quant is more important in soc than writing as long as you included a well-written statement of purpose and writing sample in your application. Especially if you had a good quant in either of the two scores you sent, you're probably fine. The only one I might consider is the humanities school, but if they don't require GRE scores (if that's what you meant in #2 in the original post) I wouldn't. Actually I wouldn't either way, a 9 point drop in verbal isn't worth it.

Do you have a strong SOP and writing sample? The AWA is kinda garbage and doesn't seem to be too highly regarded. I don't think I'd send those third scores, but do you have an advisor or really trusted POI you could ask?

• 3 weeks later...