Should I Bother?

LiteratureMajor

Months ago I considered applying to School X. Financial woes forced me to cross it off my list, however. Today (after finding the funds to apply) I discovered that the application deadline was January 15 -- BUT I have been encouraged to apply ASAP although there is a chance that those accepted first have first crack at TAs. I'm being told that my greatest risk in applying this week is that there may not be any TA positions left for me during the 2010-2011 academic year. The committees have not begun reviewing apps yet.

But I am still quite concerned that applying 5 or 6 days late will put me in the auto-reject pile.

Advice?

But I am still quite concerned that applying 5 or 6 days late will put me in the auto-reject pile.

Definitely not the case everywhere. I got an invite from a school where my application was a couple weeks late. It can depend on the department and the school, but I seriously doubt five or six days will matter much. If you're really concerned, you could always e-mail the grad admissions secretary, but I'd think you'd be better off just getting your app in.

Edited by ECEPhDApplicant

BUT I have been encouraged to apply ASAP

To me, this all depends on who has been encouraging you. Your recommenders/former professors/mentors? Professors at the school you're considering? If the folks encouraging you to apply are in either or both of those two categories, I'd say go for it if you can afford the application.