Has anyone here transferred from one clinical psych program to another?

psychgrad

Hi,

I'm in a clinical Psych Phd program and am in my second year. I don't like my advisor and I don't really like most of the people in my lab (I don't hate them, but I don't really feel comfortable with them). I feel like the training in the program isn't great -- it's very researchy and I'm starting to realize I like the clinical work more. I don't know if I should just stick with it and get it over with while trying to do as much reading as I can about clinical treatment and get my phd, or if I should try transferring. It was hard enough getting in to school the first time around, and I don't know if it would be harder a second time around. I also don't know if it'll be like starting from scratch, since you never know how many credits will count from one school to another...

Any advice?

This is probably just hearsay, but I've always heard that no one transfers between clinical programs, and that clinical programs will not take any of your prior credits. Have you talked to your program director? Looked around for another lab and advisor?

This is probably just hearsay, but I've always heard that no one transfers between clinical programs, and that clinical programs will not take any of your prior credits. Have you talked to your program director? Looked around for another lab and advisor?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't talked to the program director or anyone else here yet, cause I'm too scared to do that. I don't know how they'll respond. I might talk to another professor here who is the director of graduate studies in psych and see what he says. I think he'll be discrete and not tell my advisor I spoke with him. I don't know him that well though, so I really don't know how he'll respond. I don't really know what to do...It's true that I have a feeling my credits may not transfer, in which case I might as well just suck it up and stay here...