Operations Research/ Industrial Engineering 2010

Deleted

Hello everyone! I am an international student and have joined the forum just now. (maybe too late?)

I have PhD admissions in industrial engineering (or systems engineering in some cases) from four schools at the moment: North Carolina State U, U of Virginia, U of Pittsburgh and U of Southern California. All schools except NCSU offer assistantship or fellowship. The situation with NCSU will be determined later.

I have five other pending applications, but I am having trouble deciding even between these four. Can anyone help me out in some way?

Much thanks...

Hello everyone! I am an international student and have joined the forum just now. (maybe too late?)

I have PhD admissions in industrial engineering (or systems engineering in some cases) from four schools at the moment: North Carolina State U, U of Virginia, U of Pittsburgh and U of Southern California. All schools except NCSU offer assistantship or fellowship. The situation with NCSU will be determined later.

I have five other pending applications, but I am having trouble deciding even between these four. Can anyone help me out in some way?

Much thanks...

Go to UVa if you can't afford to pay full tuition,... Go to NC State if you afford to pay NCSU tuition..

Stay away from U$C.

<br />What kind of work is expected in the industry from an OR graduate? Considering the recession thing, would it be advisable to study OR from the point of view of getting into the Finance sector?<br />

OR graduates in finance are typically brought on as risk modelers, 'desk quants', programmers, and sometimes traders and structurers, from what I've seen. MS-level graduates often focus more on programming, whereas PhDs focus more on modeling.

The following fora are good lurking spots for this topic:

http://www.wilmott.com/index.cfm?NoCookies=Yes&forumid=1

http://www.quantnet.com/forum/

http://www.nuclearphynance.com/

Most recent activities have been around traditional products, such as corporates bonds or loans (especially high yield) in the US. Currency, interest rate, and commodity groups have also been quite active, and principal protection and tax-arbitrage schemes are always steady, to name a few. Still, the complex, structured products that kept quants busy (and employed) have diminished noticeably. Financial engineers are in greatest demand when products are most baffling.

Getting back to the question at hand, OR is a good route into finance (especially from a renown program like Columbia's FE), but the market is pretty tough. Still, quantitative people seem to be getting jobs more readily than those without such skills in NYC, from my observation. MBAs from respected programs are much bigger feeders to finance than OR will ever be, of course.

OR graduates in finance are typically brought on as risk modelers, 'desk quants', programmers, and sometimes traders and structurers, from what I've seen. MS-level graduates often focus more on programming, whereas PhDs focus more on modeling.

The following fora are good lurking spots for this topic:

http://www.wilmott.com/index.cfm?NoCookies=Yes&forumid=1

http://www.quantnet.com/forum/

http://www.nuclearphynance.com/

Most recent activities have been around traditional products, such as corporates bonds or loans (especially high yield) in the US. Currency, interest rate, and commodity groups have also been quite active, and principal protection and tax-arbitrage schemes are always steady, to name a few. Still, the complex, structured products that kept quants busy (and employed) have diminished noticeably. Financial engineers are in greatest demand when products are most baffling.

Getting back to the question at hand, OR is a good route into finance (especially from a renown program like Columbia's FE), but the market is pretty tough. Still, quantitative people seem to be getting jobs more readily than those without such skills in NYC, from my observation. MBAs from respected programs are much bigger feeders to finance than OR will ever be, of course.

The funny thing is that, Columbia's IEOR professors often make fun of MBA people....

Hi guys! I am an international student and I also joined the forum too late like the earlier poster. I'd just like to know which of the schools that I applied to are really good. I applied to Purdue, Lehigh, U of Illinois at Chicago, Kansas State U, Florida State U, Clemson.

Currently, I've been accepted to Kansas State, Florida State and Clemson. Florida State gave me a TA and Kansas State funding will be discussed upon arrival and interview in the fall. Purdue, Lehigh U, and U of Illinois at Chicago have not sent any kind of notice/decision to me yet.

Please help me decide which are the better schools. I got really confused when I was applying and in the end, just went for the schools that seemed good to me.

Thanks for all your help guys.

The funny thing is that, Columbia's IEOR professors often make fun of MBA people....

MBAs and quants work on two different sides of finance, that requires two entirely different sets of skills. OR route is more on the academic type of job such as modeling or programming as direcdingo said while MBA route is more about business aspect. It's often very hard for OR graduates to get trading jobs because it's traditionally for MBA graduates and vice versa. Certainly there would be exceptions for people who fall in between. It's understandable that people from academia often make fun of business people.

And also, OR jobs often are not directly account for the profit of the firm so don't expect a large size bonus out of them.

What kind of work is expected in the industry from an OR graduate? Considering the recession thing, would it be advisable to study OR from the point of view of getting into the Finance sector?

Also, hedge funds and (re)insurance firms seem like popular destinations for IE/OR-types.

I don't know much about the campus placement etc. But I have a question for you smile.gif Did you receive your NCSU OR admit with an assistantship?

hey ya..no news on assistanship..have been asked to contact professors for research assistantships..

Go to UVa if you can't afford to pay full tuition,... Go to NC State if you afford to pay NCSU tuition..

Stay away from U$C.

Why stay away from USC? I heard that PhD program in USC-IE is far better than the rest of these four schools. Actually I received a rejection from USC but still I think that USC IE has a really strong program.

Do you think i can request for an assistantship?

yes..you can write to the department..the graduate coordinator asked me to contact prof for assistantships..TA s first round has been sent and the prog director said normally they do have some turndowns...so we can still expect some good news!!.. :)

Edited by shorsh

Just to take a poll... How many of the People on this forum admitted into Cornell M.Eng OR are planning to Take it up?

I haven't got my Cornell ORIE decision. I mailed and asked them - looks like there is no news on my application yet. :(

Just to add a poll to the above - has any MSOR applicant for Columbia heard back from them ? (apart from the ones who got deferred from FE - its pretty sad that FE applicants get their results for OR way before the real OR applicants - gives the impression that FE applicants are valued more than the OR applicants)

Just to take a poll... How many of the People on this forum admitted into Cornell M.Eng OR are planning to Take it up?

I have not yet heard back from them. But I would probably take them up on it if I get in...idk yet, but probably.

I am denying it.

To you & others denying it: Please try to let them know as early as possible so those on the waiting list can get offers & make their decisions....Don't procrastinate or wait long...if you know you are turning them down, please do it soon (now :) .) Thanks.

I have an MS in IE admit at Georgia Tech.

I have heard that I can change major/degree titles within the dept. without re-admission at the time of registering. is it true?

the following link has all the masters degress offered at GT.

http://www.isye.gatech.edu/academics/graduate/masters/

Further, since MS IE is focussed in manufacturing and production, what might be the probablejob options..would i be able to land in a job in finance or hedge funds or say insurance. Whatt would be the kind of job responsibilities.

Final destination is locked as GT.

Hi all. Just wanted to highlight the fact that Columbia is trying to decrease their MSOR acceptance rate by finding out which applicants are not truly interested and then rejecting them.

I got a call from them asking if Columbia is my top choice, and when I asked them why they want to know, they replied "We intend on accepting you to the program but we just want to see how many people are likely to say yes so that we know how many people we should accept." I told them I decided not to choose Columbia, and received a rejection letter a couple of days later.

Hi all. Just wanted to highlight the fact that Columbia is trying to decrease their MSOR acceptance rate by finding out which applicants are not truly interested and then rejecting them.

I got a call from them asking if Columbia is my top choice, and when I asked them why they want to know, they replied "We intend on accepting you to the program but we just want to see how many people are likely to say yes so that we know how many people we should accept." I told them I decided not to choose Columbia, and received a rejection letter a couple of days later.

I believe Columbia's yield rate is pretty low. I also got the call like 2 weeks ago and tried to use my other acceptances as a leverage to get scholarship from them and haven't heard anything yet.....