Best school with best available funding?

annie a

Hi,

I am waiting to hear from CUSSW, I just applied before the Jan 15 deadlines, and their curriculum is perfect for both my policy interests and my grassroots, international interests. However, I'm 36 and don't really need more debt!

Any advice on a top-notch school that might fulfill my specific requirements while not putting me so far in debt?

I am thinking Columbia might be worth the debt as it does meet so many of my needs. I hope I am not too far here. Anyone heard back lately?

Thank you!

Ann

Edited by annie a

Me again :). I got an email from CUSSW today saying not to expect financial aid letters before the end of March. Boo. I called them last month and was told the absolute max they offer in scholarships is $8,000 (aka, nothing) while the rest is all loans. Though it's very tempting, I do not in any way think it's worth the debt. Especially on a social worker's salary.

I've heard that the Washington University in St. Louis gives out very generous scholarships. They have a policy concentration and are ranked #1 in the country, tied with the University of Michigan. I'll hear from them by Feb. 15th, so I can update you as to what they offer if you're interested. 

Good luck!

Yes, Michigan has a very strong macro program (community organizing, management, and social policy). Its MSW students have the option to take courses in other top-ranked departments across campus (Public Policy, Public Health, Business, Education, Urban Planning, Sociology, Psychology, etc..). U-M Students also have the option to do national and international field placements. The International Institute is a wonderful resource here. They are also more generous with financial aid for out-of-state students. As Terri said, the Columbia debt isn't worth it since social work in general is not a high-paying field. IMO, I would only recommend Columbia if you are seeking a (corporate) consulting career.

Edited by michigan girl

• 1 month later...

Yes, Michigan has a very strong macro program (community organizing, management, and social policy). Its MSW students have the option to take courses in other top-ranked departments across campus (Public Policy, Public Health, Business, Education, Urban Planning, Sociology, Psychology, etc..). U-M Students also have the option to do national and international field placements. The International Institute is a wonderful resource here. They are also more generous with financial aid for out-of-state students. As Terri said, the Columbia debt isn't worth it since social work in general is not a high-paying field. IMO, I would only recommend Columbia if you are seeking a (corporate) consulting career.

I just went online to check out my fin aid package from U-Michigan. I have to say that compared to the other schools that I got into (Chicago, New School, and Brown - No word on $ from Columbia and Penn) their package is AMAZING. Infact, the grants and scholarships that they offered will cover my tution and housing. We shall see from the other schools that i have not heard from yet.

Hi,

I am waiting to hear from CUSSW, I just applied before the Jan 15 deadlines, and their curriculum is perfect for both my policy interests and my grassroots, international interests. However, I'm 36 and don't really need more debt!

Any advice on a top-notch school that might fulfill my specific requirements while not putting me so far in debt?

I am thinking Columbia might be worth the debt as it does meet so many of my needs. I hope I am not too far here. Anyone heard back lately?

Thank you!

Ann

I think the best thing you can do is look into programs that you like and contact them about scholarships. From doing that I found out WashU gives seven full-rides plus RAships. UChicago gives decent scholarships and RAships. Many MSW programs only give up to half-tuition, which for me wasn't enough. From the post above, it also looks like Michigan gives good aid. You could also look into the state schools in your area, because those can work out to be cheaper. If you're not in a state with stellar MSW programs (California, Washington, Michigan, Wisconsin, Virginia), move for a year and then reapply. Then again, the move could be really expensive, too.

As far as great programs for policy and grassroots experiences, I would look at urban areas that make it more accessible and give you more options. Even though WashU is in St. Louis, it has lots of connections in that area. Additionally, Berkeley, UCLA, and Fordham are pretty connected urban schools. Also, if you want to work with policy, I think landing a research assistantship will be a huge advantage, so look for schools that offer those because not all do.

Good luck!