Southeastern, Southwestern Baptist Seminary vs McAfee School of Theology

Estudiamos

I see that there are a lot of Southeastern and Southwestern Baptist Seminary grads that have gone on to great PhD programs at larger (name recognition)universites, Duke, Yale, Princeton Theological, Emory; but non from the McAfee School of Theology. Knowing nothing about the credibility of McAfee, between these 3 schools, which is the best choice when looking for future career in college administrtaion and teaching?

I see that there are a lot of Southeastern and Southwestern Baptist Seminary grads that have gone on to great PhD programs at larger (name recognition)universites, Duke, Yale, Princeton Theological, Emory; but non from the McAfee School of Theology. Knowing nothing about the credibility of McAfee, between these 3 schools, which is the best choice when looking for future career in college administrtaion and teaching?

I'd repost this in the religion sub-forum.

None of the above.

Pretty much.

If I had to go with one, I'd go with McAfee. I think it's rare for Southern Baptist seminary grads to go to top tier programs. Not impossible, but rare. McAfee is similar to Beeson at Samford and Wake Forest Divinity School. All three are pretty solid programs, but not very popular.

That said, It does seem that there are several baptist seminary grads doing PhD's across seas.

Check out this blog: http://dunelm.wordpress.com/

Ben is a PhD student at the Univ. of Durham and he did his Masters at Dallas Theological Seminary, a fundamentalist school. So, it's possible.

Also, if you are interested in going to a Baptist school, my assumption is that you are baptist. If you look at the Southern Bapt. seminaries faculty, you will see that the majority of them did their PhD's at SB seminaries. My point is, some of the more conservative/fundamentist schools are quite cautious of hiring a Harvard or Yale grad. If you see your future teaching at Baptist schools or seminaries, it might be helpful to keep this in mind.

Also, if you are interested in going to a Baptist school, my assumption is that you are baptist. If you look at the Southern Bapt. seminaries faculty, you will see that the majority of them did their PhD's at SB seminaries. My point is, some of the more conservative/fundamentist schools are quite cautious of hiring a Harvard or Yale grad. If you see your future teaching at Baptist schools or seminaries, it might be helpful to keep this in mind.

Exactly. Ever since the fundamentalist take over in the late 80's/early 90's in the SBC, the seminaries basically just hire their own. They're suspicious of people with degrees from outside the SBC seminaries. Dallas Theological is not one of the six SBC seminaries (Golden Gate, Midwestern, Southeastern, etc). There are plenty of DTS graduates who go on to do good work (I know Ben from the above post), but they tend not to hold to the fundamentalist dispensational views of DTS.

If you want to teach at an SBC seminary, go to Southern, Southeastern, or Southwestern, depending upon your interests.