Big Department vs Small Department

cellec

Let me know if this has already been covered. While I know the advantages of going to a program with a big department and the disadvantages of going to one with a small department, what are the downsides of going to a big department/ the pluses to going to a small one? Is there one "better" option?

1 hour ago, cellec said:

Let me know if this has already been covered. While I know the advantages of going to a program with a big department and the disadvantages of going to one with a small department, what are the downsides of going to a big department/ the pluses to going to a small one? Is there one "better" option?

I don't think there is one better option. It is going to depend on your own learning preferences, lifestyle, and overall research interests and goals. I'm more worried about cohort effects than size of a program. And I don't know how to discern what my cohort will be like during visitation. 

8 minutes ago, resDQ said:

I don't think there is one better option. It is going to depend on your own learning preferences, lifestyle, and overall research interests and goals. I'm more worried about cohort effects than size of a program. And I don't know how to discern what my cohort will be like during visitation. 

That's another concern for me as well...

In a smaller department, you can easily have more direct contact with faculty. It will be easier to get to know them. It will also be easier to get to know not just your cohort but also make acquaintances with older cohorts. All these matter for your success in a program.