Here We Go Again. Good Sign?

Diverchica

I applied to grad school last year, and a lack of funding was the main factor for why I didn't get in to work with one of my 'potential' advisors last year. Well, I applied to work with him again. He recently said 'You were so close last time, please try again. I'm glad you have patience with this clunky system.With funding in hand, I would have your company right now so maybe we can be more successful' (by the way, have no idea what that means. Does he have money? doesn't he? whatever). Anyway, I looked online last night on a job board, and he's soliciting undergrads to work in his lab for the summer and paying them. I know the adcom doesnt meet until this week and first round letters go out the first week of Feb.

My question is, if he's already soliciting people to work in his lab, is this a good sign for me? Should I be contacting him for an update?

Grr the agonies of waiting.

Have you contacted him to let him know you're applying again? I can't really tell from the way your post is phrased. If not, I definitely would. I'm not sure I would bring up seeing the job postings, though... that might be a little awkward/uncomfortable.

Yes, he definitely knows i'm appying again, and his response was, 'you were so close last time, I'm glad you have the patience with this system. With funding in hand I would have your company right now...' His response was phrased really vaguely so I have no idea what that means. I guess I can just guess that he's interested............ but now I dont' know how long I should wait before I ask him about my status. I don't want to be a bother, but theoretically, once my app gets through the admin board, it should go right to him, correct?

I would not read too much into him soliciting undergrads. At most schools, taking on an RA requires guaranteeing the stipend, the "value" of the tuition waiver, plus some amount for benefits. This can easily add up to $30-50k, far more than the $2-4k he might pay an undergrad for a summer. So the solicitation might represent funds above and beyond a planned RA, or it might represent only a bare minimum of funding that limits him to cheap undergrads. Further, he might be discussing different funding sources - there are several programs (REU, for example) that specifically pay for undergrads to do research.