Program Specific Thread - Duke University

sk8er determinant

Hi all, 

So I've basically heard back from all the schools I wanted to hear back from, and I've decided to accept Duke's offer. If anyone's attending Duke for Ph.D. in Chemistry, how is the department, and what's the department culture like (i.e. are there supergroup meetings, literature club, and any other clubs and meetings geared towards chemistry students)? And how is living in Durham for you, personally? I've been hearing great things about Duke as a graduate school, and I'd really like to get more unadulterated views on the school and the department.

(Also if you've been accepted to Duke, is anyone going to be at the Chemistry visiting weekend on March 3rd to 4th? I'll be there!)

• 2 weeks later...

@chem1995 my cGPA was 3.5, my major GPA was 3.89. my gen gre scores were 160 v/163 q/4.5 a, and my chem gre score was 60th percentile. 3 publications, bunch of presentations and 3 years of research experience. hm i thought everyone would've gotten their results by now... your duke onelink wasn't updated still?

• 1 month later...

I was at visiting weekend in February at Duke and I got a lot of 'good vibes' about the environment, the faculty, the research, and graduate students as well. I am fortunate enough to personally know someone (went to same undergrad) and is a Chem grad student there and he said he has no regrets and gave me some of his views. I'm still kind of undecided as I have one more visit to go to this week. 

On 3/22/2017 at 3:32 PM, Agile Dienophile said:

I was at visiting weekend in February at Duke and I got a lot of 'good vibes' about the environment, the faculty, the research, and graduate students as well. I am fortunate enough to personally know someone (went to same undergrad) and is a Chem grad student there and he said he has no regrets and gave me some of his views. I'm still kind of undecided as I have one more visit to go to this week. 

I was there during that visit too! 

It was such a fantastic visit and I feel myself leaning towards the program. :)