2010 Vanier Selection

Ecophys

I have been wondering and haven't found any information regarding my question.

Once a person has been forwarded to the national competition for the Vanier Scholarship (200 for each tri-council committee), is the applicant notified of success or failure to advance on to the pooled competition (70 from each tri-council committee for a total of 210)?

Does anyone know the timeline for the selection from each tri-council committee? I would expect it would be soon as it probably takes a month to do the final round of competition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been wondering and haven't found any information regarding my question.

Once a person has been forwarded to the national competition for the Vanier Scholarship (200 for each tri-council committee), is the applicant notified of success or failure to advance on to the pooled competition (70 from each tri-council committee for a total of 210)?

Does anyone know the timeline for the selection from each tri-council committee? I would expect it would be soon as it probably takes a month to do the final round of competition.

Bump.......I got an email from Vanier asking me to confirm my mailing address. Is it normal to send out letters of acceptance/rejection for the tri-council round of selections (NSERC, CIHR, SSHRC)?

Edited by Lee

• 1 month later...

Bump.......I got an email from Vanier asking me to confirm my mailing address. Is it normal to send out letters of acceptance/rejection for the tri-council round of selections (NSERC, CIHR, SSHRC)?

Just wondering if you got any feedback from Vanier yet after you confirmed your mailing address? In which council are you? I am still waiting. I received nothing since my file was sent at national competition.

Just wondering if you got any feedback from Vanier yet after you confirmed your mailing address? In which council are you? I am still waiting. I received nothing since my file was sent at national competition.

No, I haven't received anything yet. I emailed NSERC and they told me that there were no notifications sent regarding who made it out of the tri-council selections. There are only the final notifications sent out to all national nominees. This is what NSERC is doing. I am not sure about the other two councils though.

I have my comprehensive exam next Tuesday and I think I am going to have to wait to check my mail until after then. It is too close to find out this type of news (good or bad). I really hope the PGS/CGS notifications are sent out before the Vanier notifications but I guess I'll just have to wait.

Edited by Lee

Anyone knows if you are nominated for Vanier but not being selected, do you have a higher chance to get the CGS-D or PGS-D if you apply for NSERC as well?

From what I understand, they are completely separate applications with different selection committees. But, I would hope that the university selection process would rank Vanier nominees high for the NSERC PGS competition as well to increase their chances of getting an NSERC CGS in case they don't get a Vanier. At least I am hoping that is the case. I have been told that if both applications are the same that being forwarded for the Vanier competition probably means that your chances of a CGS or PGS is pretty high. But there are no guarantees like there were last year which is pretty stressful. Technically, I think you can be offered both but would have to decline the CGS/PGS. I just want the letters to come already.

Both my VANIER and NSERC moved to Nationals but today I got my rejection from NSERC (urgh!).

Was wondering if this meant rejection from VANIER as well? Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Both my VANIER and NSERC moved to Nationals but today I got my rejection from NSERC (urgh!).

Was wondering if this meant rejection from VANIER as well? Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

OMG, I am shocked. You would believe if you are nominated for Vanier, that you stand good chances for NSERC. I know Vanier, are looking first at leadership, they put a lot of emphasis on this. So maybe you had a strong application regarding your leadership and communication skills... which is not valued as much in the NSERC selection for PGS-D (grade 30% , research potential 50% , then communication/leadership 20%).

or lets hope they didn't give you the NSERC because they know you got the Vanier :rolleyes:

I can imagine your stress now....

good luck

I got my combined NSERC-Vanier letter today. smile.gif

The Vanier letter was combined with the NSERC letter? I was told they were going to be separate letters? I haven't received my NSERC letter yet but know my results. Were you awarded both an NSERC and Vanier or just one or the other? Was your Vanier application successful?

I am so tired of waiting for the final notice on these scholarships. I confirmed my address with NSERC for the Vanier application in early Feb so they should be sending it here. Who knows though.......

The Vanier letter was combined with the NSERC letter? I was told they were going to be separate letters? I haven't received my NSERC letter yet but know my results. Were you awarded both an NSERC and Vanier or just one or the other? Was your Vanier application successful?

I am so tired of waiting for the final notice on these scholarships. I confirmed my address with NSERC for the Vanier application in early Feb so they should be sending it here. Who knows though.......

Yes, the NSERC CGS/PGS letter will be separate (I have not gotten that yet) although I know my results. What I meant was that the Vanier letter was mailed through NSERC. Whether rejected or accepted, I can not divulge for now.:(

Yes, the NSERC CGS/PGS letter will be separate (I have not gotten that yet) although I know my results. What I meant was that the Vanier letter was mailed through NSERC. Whether rejected or accepted, I can not divulge for now.:(

I have heard about that confidentiality what ever...

I didn't get the letter yet ( hope it arrives before easter long-week end) but I am curious: do they state in the letter the reason why the result has to be kept confidential?

isn't weird?

Well, it looks like I will be waiting until at least Tuesday to find out. It is disappointing to wait almost a week longer than people out East. It would really be nice if there was an email notification process rather than snail mail. It is exciting to get it in letter form but an email is much more efficient and timely.

In addition, I still have not received my NSERC PGS letter. I know the result but I would prefer to get it in writing. Other people in my department have and it has not arrived at my permanent address yet either.

Well, it looks like I will be waiting until at least Tuesday to find out. It is disappointing to wait almost a week longer than people out East. It would really be nice if there was an email notification process rather than snail mail. It is exciting to get it in letter form but an email is much more efficient and timely.

In addition, I still have not received my NSERC PGS letter. I know the result but I would prefer to get it in writing. Other people in my department have and it has not arrived at my permanent address yet either.

I got the Vanier letter at my parents today........no more waiting