Buffalo State info?

I am a somewhat non traditional, out of field applicant hoping to apply for Fall 2018. I'm from Upstate/Western NY and would like to stay in the area.

My top two choices are Nazareth College and SUNY UB. To my knowledge both offer 3 year programs with the 1st year being a leveling year for out of field applicants. 

Initially, I had also looked at Buff State and saw that the program was "on probation," so I decided to not consider it. However, I recently looked at the program web page again and noticed that it says fully accredited through 2023. Similar to Nazareth and UB, it seems that out of field applicants can apply directly to the program before taking the prerequisites. 

Does anyone have any information on why the program was previously on probation?

I'm unsure as to whether I should consider applying or not. I've also noticed that the degree offered is a M.S.Ed rather than MA or MS. It's the only program I've come across that offers an M.S.Ed. I'm most interested in working in a school, but would this prohibit me from working in a medical setting if I changed my mind during grad school?

Any information on Buff State's program would be greatly appreciated! The tuition is great and I imagine it is slightly less competitive than UB. 

@somnium Hi! I'm also applying to Nazareth and SUNY UB. I originally was going to apply to Buff State as well but took it off my list. I know many, many people who are still applying there now that they are accredited again. I googled Buffalo State speech-pathology probation and found this on ASHA: http://www.asha.org/uploadedFiles/Accreditation-Approval-Status-Buffalo-State-SLP.pdf

About the M.S. Ed, it does not prohibit you from working in a medical setting. They still prepare you for all different types of settings. When I was looking at applying to UVA their program is M.S. Ed, but it's because their program is housed in their education college. I assume it's probably the same for Buff state. 

On February 14, 2017 at 1:01 AM, JcSLP said:

@somnium Hi! I'm also applying to Nazareth and SUNY UB. I originally was going to apply to Buff State as well but took it off my list. I know many, many people who are still applying there now that they are accredited again. I googled Buffalo State speech-pathology probation and found this on ASHA: http://www.asha.org/uploadedFiles/Accreditation-Approval-Status-Buffalo-State-SLP.pdf

About the M.S. Ed, it does not prohibit you from working in a medical setting. They still prepare you for all different types of settings. When I was looking at applying to UVA their program is M.S. Ed, but it's because their program is housed in their education college. I assume it's probably the same for Buff state. 

Thanks for the reply!

Out of curiosity, why did you personally remove Buff State from your list?

2 hours ago, somnium said:

Thanks for the reply!

Out of curiosity, why did you personally remove Buff State from your list?

It just personally wasn't somewhere I really wanted to go! I only applied to four schools and so I made sure they were schools I would really want to go to if I got in. Nothing about it intrigued or excited me (granted, I didn't do a ton of research), and it doesn't seem like a very safe campus. I've heard stories of people's application materials being lost and I didn't like the fact that you had to apply on CSDCAS and do another application on their website.

That being said, I think there's a lot of people who still do like the program! I've been taught by some professors that teach there and they were really amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I was told by an individual who was attending Buffalo State's masters program that it was under probation due to understaffing of accredited professors (which is common in our field because most SLP's prefer to practice rather than teach). Otherwise, the program is more than suitable for anyone hoping to pursue a career as a speech pathologist. The M.S.Ed mostly just allows you to receive teacher certification through NYS, which would also qualify you to teach anywhere other than NYS as well. However, if working in a school is something you aren't interested in it would not have any effect on that. You would still receive ASHA certification and have to take the necessary examinations to practice. Hope that helps!