Calling All Computer Science 2010 Applicants!

explorer-c

+1 for AGT, my school list:

CMU,

Cornell,

UW-Seattle,

Gatech,

NYU,

Northwestern,

UPenn,

Maryland

Dartmouth,

Rutgers,

USC,

MPI (my advisor has a connection there)

We already have 3 people working on AGT in this thread. Events with low probability DO happen (or there are really so many people working on AGT right now?)

AGT is the current trend in CS theory as my Master's advisor says, so I think this was expected. Both of you are my competition ;-). However, I hope that we will all get in one of the Universities we mentioned. Thus, I guess we need to cooperate in the sense that when admitted to a University we withdraw our application to the "less interesting".

What does MPI stand for?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AGT is the current trend in CS theory as my Master's advisor says, so I think this was expected. Both of you are my competition ;-). However, I hope that we will all get in one of the Universities we mentioned. Thus, I guess we need to cooperate in the sense that when admitted to a University we withdraw our application to the "less interesting".

What does MPI stand for?

MPI is Max Planck Institute, which is one of the best places for theory in Europe.

Just wanted to say thanks to enigma211 for finding all of those dates....pretty awesome work. Even if the dates aren't exact it at least gives a great ballpark. Has anybody heard from Berkeley, Stanford, or WashU? I see people posting about getting rejected on the post board, but with no profiles it doesn't really mean much. Here are my schools:

Berkeley

Stanford

WashU

UPenn

UCLA

UCSD

UCSB

USC

Wisconsin

Brown

Northwestern

JHU

Ohio State

UMass

So far I received an official acceptance from UCSB with guaranteed funding, but no acceptances or rejections from anywhere else.

Here is my profile:

GRE - Q:800 V:650 W:5

GPA - 3.89 (large US university, math/cs double major)

Research - 2 yrs with one professor, 2 semesters with another

LOR - 1 from each research professor (very strong), 1 from the Dean of Undergraduate Research (I started an undergraduate research journal at my school)

Other - Undergraduate Research Award, member of Student Council for Undergraduate Research

Area - Database Systems

I'll post any updates here and would really appreciate it if all the people who browse this forum do the same. Good luck to everybody.

Hi, my field is also IR (Multimedia IR to be more specific). I have applied at Stanford, UCB (iSchool), CMU (LTI), UIUC, Cornell, UWashington, CalTech, UT Austin (CS and iSchool) and UMass, Amherst.

I didn’t hear anything yet from anywhere.

wow, congratulations to OH YEAH!, I have also applied Brown but got no news T_T

Hi, all!

I have applied 12 (9 PHD: US, 3 MS: Canada), no news yet. :(

It is common that we have an interview before getting admitted?

I am an international applicant :)

Edited by Amy-CS

Professor e-mailed me late January; we conversed about research for a few e-mails. Notified me by phone this morning of acceptance. He told me they received a lot more applications than usual this application cycle. "Visit weekend" is March 11-13.

I'm working in programming languages.

Here's my profile. Sorry for being vague, just want some semblance of privacy... who am I kidding, adcoms could probably figure out who I am from this description.

Nationality: American

School: liberal arts, B.A CS with Honors, two minors

GPA: 4.00 major, good overall

GRE: decent but nothing to write home about, "who cares"

CS GRE: good

Recommendations: killer

- Significant work experience, owner of very large & profitable website

- Significant independent research and readings

- Two summers research at other institutions

- 1 sole-author paper presented at international conference, 1 poster accepted to the top conference

- Great senior thesis which is being reworked for publication; going to submit to top conference in area

Edited by OH YEAH

Heard back from CMU via email today. Accepted for masters with no funding :-(. CMU LTI was my top choice for Phd:-(. My Acads/GRE were quite good, I have poster acceptance from a top international conference in the field, have submissions (yet to hear back) to another top conference. Good research for the last 2 years and good recos. But then looking at other profiles here I can understand the rejection. May be in a year when I would have had at least one more conference acceptance and a in a better economy I may have had a better chance.

But hey on the brighter side I have not yet heard from Stanford and Berkeley may be that will work out and the UIUC acceptance helps in taking the lumps easier. Cheers to all.

Ha, I had the same problem with the LTI program. I also applied to the machine learning PhD program at CMU though, which is my preferred program of those two, and I haven't heard anything back from that yet. I also have an acceptance from an excellent school already (Cornell), so like you, I'm not nearly as worried as I would otherwise be :)

I'm beginning to think, though, that maybe I should have applied for COS and ML instead of LTI and ML at Carnegie Mellon. Perhaps the ML and LTI programs are somehow more competitive since they are more specialized...

I got an unofficial email last Wednesday and finally got an official email (with official letter to come soon) today. I applied for AI, specifically machine learning and natural language processing.

Just got accepted to UCLA but without funding for at least for first semester. Does anybody know how that works? Does that mean you have to pay all the tuition and fees for the first semester and then hopefully you get a TA or RA position after that? I had no idea that a top CS program would not fund all of the PhD students....sounds ridiculous.

It seems Berkeley has released some of its decisions for CS PhD. It seemed like several people where waiting for Berkeley last week.

I'm waiting on Berkeley still :\ congrats on your apparent acceptance there! That's wonderful.

Congrats all the Cornell people. I wish they'd show me some love :-(

(and CMU while they are at it)

OH YEAH,

Thanks. What specialization did you apply for at CMU? As Djlamar pointed out earlier in this thread I might have made a "mistake" in applying to LTI only, maybe I should have applied to the broad CS Phd program and I might have had some luck. Anyway you still might be in contention, I wish you luck.