Calling All Computer Science 2010 Applicants!

explorer-c

Come on guys, other majors have their threads. We should have ours too! I know there are plenty of CS applicants in here.

I've noticed that results are starting to come out. My field is computer vision but I haven't heard anything yet. Any news from your target schools?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys, other majors have their threads. We should have ours too! I know there are plenty of CS applicants in here.

I've noticed that results are starting to come out. My field is computer vision but I haven't heard anything yet. Any news from your target schools?

I have received one email that simply stated that my application was complete and that they would start looking at applications. I also received one phone call from a professor to schedule a phone interview. Beyond that, I haven't heard any news from any other schools (I applied to 14). The wait is driving me crazy. My field is Algorithms/Algorithmic Game Theory/Social networks.

Cool, I applied to mostly EE or ECE programs but a few CS as well. My field is computer vision and image processing.

I have applied to 12 programs, but have not heard from any yet.

I have received one email that simply stated that my application was complete and that they would start looking at applications. I also received one phone call from a professor to schedule a phone interview. Beyond that, I haven't heard any news from any other schools (I applied to 14). The wait is driving me crazy. My field is Algorithms/Algorithmic Game Theory/Social networks.

Well your interest seem to be identical to mine. I haven't received any information yet (I applied to 17). Where did you apply? Mine are

MIT

UC Berkeley

Stanford

Cornell

Washington

Gatech

Southen California

Columbia University

UC San Diego

Yale

Brown

NYU

Stony Brook

Northwestern

Waterloo

UC Santa Barbara

RPI

Can you tell me plz, where was the interview from?

Edited by Malgor

Well your interest seem to be identical to mine. I haven't received any information yet (I applied to 17). Where did you apply? Mine are

MIT

UC Berkeley

Stanford

Cornell

Washington

Gatech

Southen California

Columbia University

UC San Diego

Yale

Brown

NYU

Stony Brook

Northwestern

Waterloo

UC Santa Barbara

RPI

The interview that I alluded to was from NW and I just had another one last night from UCSB. It wasn't really an interview exactly, both professors just asked me a few questions about some research that I had done and then explained to me a bunch of stuff about their PhD programs.

My field is Applied Crypto and Security. I've applied to 8 universities and I haven't got any news from any of these places (except an encouraging email from a prospective advisor who was advised by my current advisor over a decade ago).

My field is Applied Crypto and Security. I've applied to 8 universities and I haven't got any news from any of these places (except an encouraging email from a prospective advisor who was advised by my current advisor over a decade ago).

Where did you apply to? I applied in Crypto / Security to UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, Stanford, NYU, Columbia, and Princeton and have yet to hear back as well ..

Hey guys, so I am new to the website and I came across this thread so I will give you some updates. Here are the schools I applied to:

UC Berkeley

UCSB

Washington

Michigan

Wisconsin

UIUC

UPenn

I have received acceptance at UIUC (Jan 12) and UCSB (Jan 28).

I also got a phone call from a professor at Berkeley who said that decisions would likely be going out next week.

you must be good at number theory and proving stuff ! :)

Where did you apply to? I applied in Crypto / Security to UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, Stanford, NYU, Columbia, and Princeton and have yet to hear back as well ..

Looks like we've got a couple of places in common - UCSD, Columbia, and NYU. I've also applied to UCI, JHU, Purdue, UMass-Amherst, and UMinn-TC.

Good luck!

me too :)

except i also applied to other subjects like stats and business XD

you are my competition -_-

Haha, great :). It wouldn't have been a bad idea for me to apply to some stats programs, I guess. Probably (almost certainly) too late now though.

Hey all! Finished all my applications last week, here's my rundown:

FSU - PhD in Machine Vision

LSU - PhD in Intelligent Systems

MIT Media Lab - Application at the Lifelong Kindergarten lab as a priority

Georgia Tech - MSc in Human Computer Interaction

ASU - MSc in Applied Psychology for Technology and Innovation

My fields are AI (more specifically multi agent systems) and ergonomics/computer interaction.

I'm a foreign student with a French diploma and a British BSc- my GPA this year is around 3.5 according to British <-> US conversion charts, and I'd say my French GPA for the past years between 3.0 and 3.5. (tough to find conversion tables though...)

I had 780 on my GRE quantitative, 590 on the verbal and 4.5 on the AW.

My TOEFL score was 119/120 on the iBT.

I've got a nice project portfolio, experience in a big french development company for an internship, and my letters of recommendation should be pretty good (1 from a well known professor, one from a little bit lesser known professor, and one from the professor in charge of international studies at my French college).

Kind of stressing out and waiting for answers...I'll keep posting!

Looks like no one here is trying for Canada. (except Malgor - Waterloo)

Anyways i have applied for MSc and believe it or not...all in Canada!!!

Toronto

Waterloo

UBC

McGill

Alberta

Queens

McMaster

Calgary

Victoria

Ottawa

In most of these my application status is complete. I don't know how I can be sure of any kind of decision as of yet. Moreover, I keep hearing that without e-mailing a professor it is virtually impossible to get admission in Canada(don't know how true that is, can anyone share their experiences?).

This data gleaned from last years results for Computer Science. These are first interview/admit/reject dates

University,Interview Call, Admission,Reject

UIUC:- NA , 1/24 , 3/13

UCBerkeley:- 1/22 , 2/3 , 2/4

CMU:- NA , 1/26 , 2/6

MIT:- 1/22 , 2/11 , 2/12

UMinn,Twin Cities:- NA , 1/28 , 4/15

UW:- NA , 2/6 , 2/12

Stanford:- NA , 2/7 , 2/9

UCLA:- 2/4 , 2/4 , 3/7

UMich, Ann arbor:- NA , 2/3 , 3/9

UTAustin:- 2/9 , 2/24 , 3/2

Gatech:- NA , 2/13 , 3/16

Cornell :- NA , 2/16 , 2/16

Columbia :- NA, 2/9 , 2/10

UMass, Amherst:- NA, 2/27 , 2/23

UMaryland :- NA, 2/25 , 3/13

JHU :-2/10, 3/12 , 3/6

UWisconsin NA, 3/3 , 3/3

Thanks enigma, I'll convey the info to the boyfriend, you know, in lieu of writing my own PhD :) (speaking of which, are you all SURE you want to get into this? I'm a wreck!)

Any idea of MIT Media Lab results vs MIT regular Computer Science?

Congrats Iceman!

MIT

UC Berkeley

Stanford

Cornell

Washington

Gatech

Southen California

Columbia University

UC San Diego

Yale

Brown

NYU

Stony Brook

Northwestern

Waterloo

UC Santa Barbara

RPI

+1 for AGT, my school list:

CMU,

Cornell,

UW-Seattle,

Gatech,

NYU,

Northwestern,

UPenn,

Maryland

Dartmouth,

Rutgers,

USC,

MPI (my advisor has a connection there)

We already have 3 people working on AGT in this thread. Events with low probability DO happen (or there are really so many people working on AGT right now?)