Calling All Computer Science 2010 Applicants!

explorer-c

Seems like the big acceptances are starting to come now (Cornell, CMU, Berkeley, UCLA).

Yale and Columbia are kicking some ass from the looks of it.

I still haven't heard from Columbia -- but I guess at this point, no news from them is good news.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH YEAH,

Thanks. What specialization did you apply for at CMU? As Djlamar pointed out earlier in this thread I might have made a "mistake" in applying to LTI only, maybe I should have applied to the broad CS Phd program and I might have had some luck. Anyway you still might be in contention, I wish you luck.

I applied to the broad CS PhD program, area: programming languages. I hope they come through, they are my top choice :) I don't have high hopes though, especially after getting rejected from Cornell.

Got into Cornell with full scholarship. Got email notification y'day. Waiting on Stanford and Berkeley.

What specialization are you doing? I'm primarily in machine learning (and natural language processing probably). Maybe we'll meet during the Cornell visit day, haha.

What specialization are you doing? I'm primarily in machine learning (and natural language processing probably). Maybe we'll meet during the Cornell visit day, haha.

DJLamar,

My interests are in NLP as well. Would like to visit Cornell but the funds they provide to cover the visit can't get me there additionally being an international applicant am not sure if I'll be able to get a visa for the visit. Enjoy your visit tho' maybe we'll be class mates. Look out for me on opening day, I'll be the nerdy looking one. Oh wait I probably described most of the Cornell population. Never mind.

PS: For the especially politically correct readers. My above streotyping was meant as a joke.

DJLamar,

My interests are in NLP as well. Would like to visit Cornell but the funds they provide to cover the visit can't get me there additionally being an international applicant am not sure if I'll be able to get a visa for the visit. Enjoy your visit tho' maybe we'll be class mates. Look out for me on opening day, I'll be the nerdy looking one. Oh wait I probably described most of the Cornell population. Never mind.

PS: For the especially politically correct readers. My above streotyping was meant as a joke.

Ah, I didn't notice you were international. That's too bad that you can't visit. Keep watch and check sites like kayak.com, maybe if you're lucky you can at least get a flight cheap enough to cover with a little extra money out of pocket. Where are you from?

Ah, I didn't notice you were international. That's too bad that you can't visit. Keep watch and check sites like kayak.com, maybe if you're lucky you can at least get a flight cheap enough to cover with a little extra money out of pocket. Where are you from?

I am from India. Will check out kayak.com for what it is worth. Thanks for the info.

Yeeeeah ok, from India I think even kayak isn't going to get you a ticket to Ithaca for less than $1000... haha. Like I said maybe I'll see you in the Fall... if you meet a guy from Georgia Tech doing NLP and/or machine learning, mention the name DJLamar :P

Yeeeeah ok, from India I think even kayak isn't going to get you a ticket to Ithaca for less than $1000... haha. Like I said maybe I'll see you in the Fall... if you meet a guy from Georgia Tech doing NLP and/or machine learning, mention the name DJLamar tongue.gif
DJLamar, You got me thinking. If I plan a visit to a couple of the colleges that have offered to pay some of the expenses I may be able to make the trip. It will help me decide between UIUC and Cornell. Are there any other international students even contemplating visits? Anyone with any info on Visa availability/difficulties (especially from India) for these type of visits please chime in. Will it affect getting the student visa after I make my choice? Ok it is late now I am off to get some sleep before my late morning class I thought I may hear something from Berkeley/Stanford tonight but nothing so far any idea when during the day (PST) do they send out their emails? Maybe I am trying a little too hard to get some science into this black art of waiting for decisions tongue.gif. Edited by LivingVicariously

DJLamar, You got me thinking. If I plan a visit to a couple of the colleges that have offered to pay some of the expenses I may be able to make the trip. It will help me decide between UIUC and Cornell. Are there any other international students even contemplating visits? Anyone with any info on Visa availability/difficulties (especially from India) for these type of visits please chime in. Will it affect getting the student visa after I make my choice? Ok it is late now I am off to get some sleep before my late morning class I thought I may hear something from Berkeley/Stanford tonight but nothing so far any idea when during the day (PST) do they send out their emails? Maybe I am trying a little too hard to get some science into this black art of waiting for decisions tongue.gif.

That sounds like a very good strategy with the visits. If you get accepted to Berkeley or Stanford, I imagine it might be cheaper to fly from India to San Francisco than it would be to get to New York from there, so maybe that would help. Plus if you get three or four schools to help you out with about $500 each you can probably make the trip at relatively little expense to yourself. I imagine San Francisco to Illinois might be $300 or more, but Illinois to Ithaca would probably be $100 - $200 since they are fairly close (from Atlanta to Ithaca via Newark looks like it's going to cost me $190 round trip, and I'm pretty sure Urbana-Champagne / Chicago are closer to Ithaca than Atlanta :) ).

Good luck planning this either way! I would go ahead and start trying to get the visa (regardless of if you know you'll be able to afford the trip) if it's not terribly expensive, since it will probably take some time.

That sounds like a very good strategy with the visits. If you get accepted to Berkeley or Stanford, I imagine it might be cheaper to fly from India to San Francisco than it would be to get to New York from there, so maybe that would help. Plus if you get three or four schools to help you out with about $500 each you can probably make the trip at relatively little expense to yourself. I imagine San Francisco to Illinois might be $300 or more, but Illinois to Ithaca would probably be $100 - $200 since they are fairly close (from Atlanta to Ithaca via Newark looks like it's going to cost me $190 round trip, and I'm pretty sure Urbana-Champagne / Chicago are closer to Ithaca than Atlanta :) ).

Good luck planning this either way! I would go ahead and start trying to get the visa (regardless of if you know you'll be able to afford the trip) if it's not terribly expensive, since it will probably take some time.

Does anyone know what the visiting dates for Stanford / MIT are ?

Got accepted at UPenn with a full scholarship. Letter had no info on visit day does any one have any idea when it might be? Also any idea if they cover any of the travel expenses? I am trying to figure if I can plan a visit to a couple of the schools and defray part of the costs.

DJLamar,

You posted a calender indicating MIT adcomm had met last week, were you able to dig up anything (publicly available laugh.gif ) for Stanford and Berkeley?

Official letters from UW came last night. Woo!

Jamiemmt,

Congrats. Can you let us know what area of specialization you applied at UW Seattle? I have not heard back from them. Also, what area of specialization did you apply at CMU? I got accepted for a Masters at LTI with no funding but I had applied for a Phd.

Thanks

Got accepted at UPenn with a full scholarship. Letter had no info on visit day does any one have any idea when it might be? Also any idea if they cover any of the travel expenses? I am trying to figure if I can plan a visit to a couple of the schools and defray part of the costs.

DJLamar,

You posted a calender indicating MIT adcomm had met last week, were you able to dig up anything (publicly available laugh.gif ) for Stanford and Berkeley?

Despite trying, I couldn't find any similar calendar for Berkeley, Stanford, CMU, or Princeton, haha. Although the thing that I found initially that got me started with intelligent Google searches to try to find things like this was a listing of all of the members on Berkeley's EECS grad admissions committee (this is not hard to find yourself on Google :) ).

I applied for PL at CMU (I did an REU there last summer, and am currently there doing some more work) as well as at Washington.

Ah good for you. Meanwhile I wake up to find my mail box devoid of the mail I have been waiting for (from Stanford). The wait is painful and the forum is addictive (in a nice sort of way... so far). Hopefully I'll hear from the rest of my univs. before it becomes an unholy craving. The results board has gone bonkers with prank entries. Trust people to ruin a perfectly good thing.

My field is Applied Crypto and Security. I've applied to 8 universities and I haven't got any news from any of these places (except an encouraging email from a prospective advisor who was advised by my current advisor over a decade ago).

Hi,

Congrats for your admit at Purdue. Even I applied to Purdue for a PhD (CS) program.

I received a mail regarding the admit. Can you share some details abt the funding ?

Thanks,

Zen

Hi,

Congrats for your admit at Purdue. Even I applied to Purdue for a PhD (CS) program.

I received a mail regarding the admit. Can you share some details abt the funding ?

Thanks,

Zen

I received an acceptance email from Purdue about 2 weeks ago, but there was no mention of funding anywhere.

The visit day consists of one-on-one interviews though, so I would imagine that those are used to make final decisions.

I received an acceptance email from Purdue about 2 weeks ago, but there was no mention of funding anywhere.

The visit day consists of one-on-one interviews though, so I would imagine that those are used to make final decisions.

Well, that sounds good. Is it also the case with International Students?

Well, that sounds good. Is it also the case with International Students?

I got no funding with my admit -- making it as good as a reject. I wonder why they even bother giving out such admits.

No word from Stanford yet ( I guess it is still early morning there). As for Bezerkeley no word yet from there as well. I am not too optimistic about my chances there as I did not write the CS GRE and they recommned but not require it. Wonder what that means. I mean I know what it means but how is the score used, as a tie break?? as a way to even out some lacking in other parts of the application? Is it considered last all else being equal? Anyway, I understand it is s bit late to be asking these questions but. How many of the folks here have written the CS GRE? Applied to Berkeley? Heard from there or waiting to hear? Somehow writing in the forum seems to fulfill a need for catharsis in me. So please indulge me rolleyes.gif

Edited by LivingVicariously