Asking about a TA position for another year

whimsyears

Hi, I am a Masters student and was offered a TA position this academic year. I was told at the beginning by my department that these positions are rarely given to Masters students, but are occassionally given out (I know maybe 2 more Masters students that are also TAs?). My award letter specifically stated this position was for 2016-2017, however, I would like to know if I have a chance to TA for next year as well. What would be the best way to ask this question without sounding like I'm entitled to the position? I am grateful I even got to TA for this year, but my department has also been ambiguous about this topic. I want clarity moving forward so I can start looking for other jobs/financial assistance if I need to.

You just ask it straightforwardly, and you state your concerns like you did here. I think you'll discover that no one can make you any promises about next year because they don't know yet what their teaching needs are going to be. Those depend on enrollments, and that's just not something anyone can know right now. But you can certainly raise your concerns and see what kind of answer your get.