MA Social Sciences?

alamasala

I just finished applying to Social Psych PhD programs. I'm still waiting to hear the result of my being wait-listed at one school, and was rejected by the rest.

I'm already in a MA clinical psych program, but I hate it! I have one year left, but I don't think I can stand sticking around for various reasons (I'm doing well in it, it's just a terrible fit).

My current school offers a MA in Social Sciences,which typically is 2 years long. It allows students to select a primary and secondary focus among Sociology, Poli Sci, Anthro, and History. There are research requirements and there is a thesis option. It has rolling admissions, and I've been in touch with the program director.

Does anyone have any thoughts on MA in Social Sciences programs like this one? Are they good? Looked-down upon? I still want to pursue a PhD in either Social Psych or Sociology after this degree, assuming I don't get off the waitlist at this last school. I like the idea of an interdisciplinary degree, at least at the masters level, but don't want it to hurt my chances of getting into a specialized doctoral program in any way.

Thanks so much!

• 2 years later...

wow, im in exactly the same boat...I applied to Social Psych programs and am still waiting on the one school i was waitlisted at. I'm considering transitioning to sociology. what are your research interests? do you think that it is easy to transition in terms of presenting your case to graduate schools? (i have never taken one sociology course) I am also considering a social science masters...but with a more quantitative focus. i just dont want to dish out the $$$!

I just finished applying to Social Psych PhD programs. I'm still waiting to hear the result of my being wait-listed at one school, and was rejected by the rest.

I'm already in a MA clinical psych program, but I hate it! I have one year left, but I don't think I can stand sticking around for various reasons (I'm doing well in it, it's just a terrible fit).

My current school offers a MA in Social Sciences,which typically is 2 years long. It allows students to select a primary and secondary focus among Sociology, Poli Sci, Anthro, and History. There are research requirements and there is a thesis option. It has rolling admissions, and I've been in touch with the program director.

Does anyone have any thoughts on MA in Social Sciences programs like this one? Are they good? Looked-down upon? I still want to pursue a PhD in either Social Psych or Sociology after this degree, assuming I don't get off the waitlist at this last school. I like the idea of an interdisciplinary degree, at least at the masters level, but don't want it to hurt my chances of getting into a specialized doctoral program in any way.

Thanks so much!

• 7 months later...

Do you mind if I ask what school you're currently at? i'm also looking, potentially, for interdisciplinary social science masters programs...thusfar i only know about programs at berkeley and chicago. thanks!

I am also trying to find some interesting social science master programs. I think the Quantitative Methods in Social Sociences at Columbia is also worth considering.

But what is the program at berkeley you mentioned? I browsed berkeley's website and did not find any masters program in social sciences.

Edited by Weber in quant

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am in the EXACT same position! I majored in psych as an undergraduate, eventually planning on going for the PhD in clincial psychology to conduct academic research. I realized I didn't want to spend my whole life worrying about grant money and getting published so I worked in market research for the last few years and I think that I may want to stay in that field or at least some part of it.

I am applying to the QMSS program at Columbia, the Applied Social Research program at CUNY Queens College and the Social Research at CUNY Hunter College. I may also apply to a Social Science interdisciplinary program at at least one SUNY school. I love history so I think that by getting a degree in Social Research, I can kind of get the "best" of both worlds. My top choice among the schools is probably Queens College because it is only 30 credits, offers qual and quant research (as opposed to Columbua which is just quant) and pretty much lets you have a concentration in whatever you want. Depending on how I feel about the program I am in, I may go on for the PhD after (not sure in what yet, though).

Edited by Mikeden