Switching PhD Field...Is it possible?

auburn_sprite

Question

I'm currently in my second semester of a PhD program in biomedical science at a research one institution. I am very unhappy at this univeristy and at first thought it was the stress starting a new program halfway across the country. Now I realize that I don't feel passionately about my reseach, the courses, or the university. After a lot of soul searching I have realized I want to go into public/global health. 

So, is it possible to reapply to public health programs? Will my reputation be damaged by leaving my PhD program for a new field? Will other grad schools see this as a major flaw? I don't want to ruin my chances at a higher education, but I'm just not where I belong. 

At my current univeristy I have a 3.6 (4.0 scale) GPA and will probably be earning a 4.0 at the end of this semester. I did withdrawl from a course first semester however.

I did my undergrad at a small public university and had a 3.4 GPA. B.S. in Biology. 

4 answers to this question

Would you be able to find a different supervisor/research topic at your current university that is more related to public health? What field/topic would you like to pursue if you switch to public health? If you are unhappy with your current institution or program, it is definitely not too late to switch to Public Health PhD. Some institutions allow transfer credits so your 1st year courses can count towards your degree. Grad schools won't see it as a major flaw as long as you have a justification (more interest in public health). 

I would recommend staying with your current program and apply for different programs at the same time because you do not want to let go of your current degree before you have something else in place. 

I left a science PhD program with an MS and will be starting a PhD in French literature in the fall, so yes, it is possible to switch fields. I do have a BA and MA in French, so I'm not going into unexplored territory. However, the fears of an unfinished PhD looking bad on grad school applications (add that to an incomplete undergrad honors thesis in my case) are very real. The stress I experienced during grad school also took its toll on my relationship with my MA department. All things considered, I didn't think I'd ever have the courage or confidence to admit I wanted a PhD in French. I thought I was putting myself up for ridicule. But at some point, if you realize that this is what you want, you simply have to go out there and get it. It's better to go for it and risk failure than to be miserable and spend life wondering what could have been.

I also know a girl who started a PhD in psychology but ended up taking so many literature classes and was TA'ing for language courses exclusively...that she ended up naturally switching departments to comparative literature after a few years.

Anyway, having an incomplete PhD does draw questions, but as long as your qualifications are on par and you explain thoroughly your interests and experience in your new field in your statement (avoid talking about how your program made you miserable though), grad schools won't consider it in too much of a negative light. There may even be some schools that view your experience as a positive. Of course, not all or even most will, but there are those out there that see your decision to refocus as one that came through trial and error and one that is now motivated by the right reasons. And many will see your background in biomedical sciences as an advantage.

What is done is done. You can't go back and correct your academic record. But you can make a decision to apply for programs that you want and get a degree that you enjoy doing that leads to a career that you're passionate about.

Best of luck !

Did you wait until the end of the semester to end your program? I'm worried about the time between now and when most applications are due (December). I'm conflicted whether I should stay as long as possible with my current program, find a job, or just take some time off. 

@auburn_sprite What I did was change degree objectives from a PhD to an MS, not completely drop out. I think I did it at the beginning of fall quarter my final year, though I don't completely remember. I started my application to teach English abroad for the following academic year at around that time as well.

The fact that I was leaving to teach abroad gave me more of a solid deadline to meet. If I didn't get my lab work done by then, I decided that I would either write up what I had and call it a thesis (my adviser was fine with that) or give up the degree altogether. Fortunately I ended up doing the first. I finished my thesis (I went on filing fee status and used my time abroad to write) and worked on PhD program applications at the same time. I don't think I would have been in the right state of mind to apply last year, and so I'm glad I waited a year. Sometimes I feel that I would have gotten into my top choices if I had waited some more, but I really do want to be back in school and the school I did get into isn't weak and is a pretty good fit. I might as well take the opportunity now.